Velvet Underground: Salute Slow Food Miami at the 3rd Annual Snail of Approval Tasting Party, Friday night supper club at Thea's Pizzeria, and Brickell's newest happy hour is at Porcao
Michael Schwartz wins the 2014 Snail of Approval award, light up your night at Thea's candlelit supper club, and Streetside Social at Porcao
Slow Food Miami, an organization educated to 'planting a fresher future for our children' promises the Freshest Night Out from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday, April 25 at The Raleigh Hotel, 1775 Collins Ave., which hosts the organization's 3rd Annual Snail of Approval Tasting Party along with 2014 Snail of Approval winner Michael Schwartz, who will provide food and beer along with Whole Foods, Grey Goose, Stellar Wines, 3030 Ocean, Chef Adrianne's, David Schwadron Catering, Edge Steak & Bar, Essensia, Huahua's Taqueria, Lasso the Moon, Lido Restaurant at The Standard Hotel, LoKal Burger & Beer, Kush, Lulo Pasta, The Naked Bite, Oak Tavern, Pilgrim, Proper Sausage and Sakaya Kitchen. Um, yum. The VIP after party features The Bazaar by Jose Andres and Katsuya along with a Grammy-winning pianist from 9:30 p.m. to midnight. General admission tickets are $85 and VIP tickets are $165. Both are available at brownpapertickets.com. Event proceeds benefit the organization's Edible Garden Program.
Sometimes ubiquity and regularity isn't always a good thing. Just ask those scene-chasers who don't miss a night at so-and-so and especially those who tragically attend every toilet lid opening from here to Hialeah. Proving that less is more is Thea's Pizzeria and Cafe, 1951 NW 7th Ave., which is hosting bi-monthly Friday night supper clubs, one taking place on April 25, in fact. With two seatings---6:30 until 9 p.m. and then 9 p.m. on, Thea's supper club features a live band playing Cuban ballads circa 1920s-1950s and over a hundred candles to flatter every complexion. Reservations for second seating or bar have the option of ordering the club menu or a la carte menu. The prix fixe club menu is $49 not including tax and tip. For reservations, call 305-777-3777.
Farm to Mouth
The newly reopened Porcao, 901 Brickell Plaza, doesn't just have a trendy new sub-name (Farm to Grill Seasonal Steakhouse), but it also has a new post-work Friday happy hour called "Streetside Social," featuring two for one drinks for women, $5 and $10 bar bites, "select Scotch specials for the gentleman," music from 5 p.m. until question mark and a free drink from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. if you RSVP to eventbrite.com.
With DJs making a zillion dollars with the push of an iButton, it's somewhat shocking to think that there is even an underground house music scene still in existence, but indeed it does and it starts at 11 p.m. Friday, April 25, FDR at the Delano, 1685 Collins Ave. Notes from the Underground, as the party is called, will feature DJ/producer Sabb, known for his "deep, techy, tribal and hypnotic beats" and Miami local duo and residents of the night, Dakap. There's no cover, but we're told to tell you to ask for "Brown Bag Specials" when making table reservations via 305-924-4071 or FDRVIP@lightmia.com. We're sort of afraid to ask.
Friends Fun Wine--that wine in a can--is throwing a 'friendly competition' between various mixologists from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 1 at the Broken Shaker at the Freehand, 2727 Indian Creek Drive. In addition to the cocktailing, there will be an art installation on Style Mafia collection pieces with artwork auctioned off to benefit Camillus House.
- Rok'n burgers on 73rd St., rockin' authors hit Rock Bottom at Arsht, Dom at The Dutch & Sweet Liberty's sweet deal
- LUCKYRICE at the Raleigh, PIG in Wynwood, a pre-Pride Soiree & showboating on Fisher Island with the Pointer Sisters
- New lounges, poolside rap parties, free concerts, food fetes & dinner with Uncle Luke
- Spooky, boozy, cool: Halloween week in Miami and beyond
- Scary movies, Hitchcocking, Miami bassing & spooky mansion parties
- Miami's booze & boogie scene heats up with a new club & more reasons to eat, drink & be merry
- Touchdowns (you hope), tequila, cheese, pre-game parties and boozing in the Grove
- Cabarets, supper clubs, oysters, bubbles, beer gardens, yoga & house music all night long
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing
- Metro Railing, antique spicing, sommelier slamming, straycationing & Blocktoberfesting