Labor Day pool parties and nosh fests abound
Miami is replete with Labor Day hotel parties and fancy dining opportunities this Labor Day weekend.
National You May As Well Day
In celebration of National Eat Outside Day at 7 p.m. Friday, August 31, Edge, Steak & Bar is offering a $35 per person family style, haute picnic BBQ menu. Among the face stuffers: blue crab and corn hush puppies and Tupelo honey butter; mesquite smoked pork ribs; beer braised Creekstone Farms beef brisket; and a whole lot more. And no picnic is complete without a drink (or two, or three!), so the BBQ will be accompanied by Napa Zinfandel blend The Prisoner. Call 305-381-3190 to reserve your spots.
Labor Day Parties
Partying is hard work, which is why a few hot spots have decided to celebrate the efforts with, well, more parties. At the Delano, a Labor Day edition of their White Rabbit Pool party starting at noon Sunday, September 2nd and featuring Moet Ice Imperial and "Ibiza-style entertainment" vis a vis DJ Chris Lake. For cabana and daybed reservations, call 305-924-4071. For a little frou frou French fanfare this Labor Day weekend, consider Bella Beach Club's Veuve Cliquot Petanque Tournament at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, September 2. Prizes include spa treatments, overnight stays, Veuve and more. For those who don't speak the language, loosely translated, Petanque in Italian is, well, bocce. To register your team of 2 or 3 people, call 305-673-3873.
Hyde & Seek
One of South Beach's best known DJs, Danny Stern, has taken up residency every Friday at Hyde Beach at the SLS South Beach Hotel. From 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Stern spins open format that "starts off very sexy and loungey and progresses through the night," he told us. There's no cover, but apparently the place fills up fast so early is in when it comes to this weekly see and be scene fest.
Not So Starving Artists
New at 7 p.m. Sundays at Haven Gastro-Lounge is an ongoing elit by Stoli "for Artists . . . by Artists" dinner and cocktail series featuring a 3 course, two cocktail pairing menu as well as s works from a rotating roster of local artists. Menu is $40 per person not including tax and tip.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale