Labor Day pool parties and nosh fests abound
Miami is replete with Labor Day hotel parties and fancy dining opportunities this Labor Day weekend.
National You May As Well Day
In celebration of National Eat Outside Day at 7 p.m. Friday, August 31, Edge, Steak & Bar is offering a $35 per person family style, haute picnic BBQ menu. Among the face stuffers: blue crab and corn hush puppies and Tupelo honey butter; mesquite smoked pork ribs; beer braised Creekstone Farms beef brisket; and a whole lot more. And no picnic is complete without a drink (or two, or three!), so the BBQ will be accompanied by Napa Zinfandel blend The Prisoner. Call 305-381-3190 to reserve your spots.
Labor Day Parties
Partying is hard work, which is why a few hot spots have decided to celebrate the efforts with, well, more parties. At the Delano, a Labor Day edition of their White Rabbit Pool party starting at noon Sunday, September 2nd and featuring Moet Ice Imperial and "Ibiza-style entertainment" vis a vis DJ Chris Lake. For cabana and daybed reservations, call 305-924-4071. For a little frou frou French fanfare this Labor Day weekend, consider Bella Beach Club's Veuve Cliquot Petanque Tournament at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, September 2. Prizes include spa treatments, overnight stays, Veuve and more. For those who don't speak the language, loosely translated, Petanque in Italian is, well, bocce. To register your team of 2 or 3 people, call 305-673-3873.
Hyde & Seek
One of South Beach's best known DJs, Danny Stern, has taken up residency every Friday at Hyde Beach at the SLS South Beach Hotel. From 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Stern spins open format that "starts off very sexy and loungey and progresses through the night," he told us. There's no cover, but apparently the place fills up fast so early is in when it comes to this weekly see and be scene fest.
Not So Starving Artists
New at 7 p.m. Sundays at Haven Gastro-Lounge is an ongoing elit by Stoli "for Artists . . . by Artists" dinner and cocktail series featuring a 3 course, two cocktail pairing menu as well as s works from a rotating roster of local artists. Menu is $40 per person not including tax and tip.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more