Labor Day pool parties and nosh fests abound
Miami is replete with Labor Day hotel parties and fancy dining opportunities this Labor Day weekend.
National You May As Well Day
In celebration of National Eat Outside Day at 7 p.m. Friday, August 31, Edge, Steak & Bar is offering a $35 per person family style, haute picnic BBQ menu. Among the face stuffers: blue crab and corn hush puppies and Tupelo honey butter; mesquite smoked pork ribs; beer braised Creekstone Farms beef brisket; and a whole lot more. And no picnic is complete without a drink (or two, or three!), so the BBQ will be accompanied by Napa Zinfandel blend The Prisoner. Call 305-381-3190 to reserve your spots.
Labor Day Parties
Partying is hard work, which is why a few hot spots have decided to celebrate the efforts with, well, more parties. At the Delano, a Labor Day edition of their White Rabbit Pool party starting at noon Sunday, September 2nd and featuring Moet Ice Imperial and "Ibiza-style entertainment" vis a vis DJ Chris Lake. For cabana and daybed reservations, call 305-924-4071. For a little frou frou French fanfare this Labor Day weekend, consider Bella Beach Club's Veuve Cliquot Petanque Tournament at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, September 2. Prizes include spa treatments, overnight stays, Veuve and more. For those who don't speak the language, loosely translated, Petanque in Italian is, well, bocce. To register your team of 2 or 3 people, call 305-673-3873.
Hyde & Seek
One of South Beach's best known DJs, Danny Stern, has taken up residency every Friday at Hyde Beach at the SLS South Beach Hotel. From 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Stern spins open format that "starts off very sexy and loungey and progresses through the night," he told us. There's no cover, but apparently the place fills up fast so early is in when it comes to this weekly see and be scene fest.
Not So Starving Artists
New at 7 p.m. Sundays at Haven Gastro-Lounge is an ongoing elit by Stoli "for Artists . . . by Artists" dinner and cocktail series featuring a 3 course, two cocktail pairing menu as well as s works from a rotating roster of local artists. Menu is $40 per person not including tax and tip.
- A different sort of Bonfire of the Vanities at Conde Contemporary, Sassy City Chicks & a Ritzy beer garden
- Velvet Underground: A weird Miami bus tour and an AstroJam highlight the weekend
- Velvet Underground: Mansion nightclub opens 'Cocktails and Dreams' and Craft Spirits Festival kicks off in Coconut Grove
- Velvet Underground: Sneaker Pimps rejoice at Grand Central with Cam'ron and HaVen South Beach hosts Bar Wars
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'