Velvet Underground: Bubbly, Concerts for Daddy and a Rokbar resurrection
A party for pops, bubbly action around town and the return of a classic bar.
Monday, Bubbly Monday
Here's a reason to get all giddy for Mondays: Throughout the month of June, STK's Magnum Mondays featuring DJ Danny Stern will give a free glass of champagne to the fairer sex from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. For the high rollers, there are complimentary magnum upgrades given to all Veuve Clicquot 750ml purchases, hence the name Magnum.
Tudor House and Highbar have raised the, er, bar, on happy hours, theirs from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and pouring free, unlimited champagne for women the entire time.
Who's Your Daddy?
In honor of Father's Day, at 9 p.m. Friday, June 15, The Stage is featuring a triple bill of local bands--Elastic Bond, Ketchy Shuby and Electric Piquete, who will pay aural tribute to some of music's most important patriarchs of Latin, funk, jazz and soul. Among them: Marvin Gaye, Sergio Mendes and Herbie Hancock. There will also be a special $5 Tom Collins, a cocktail named after "The Father of Mixology", available until midnight. Tickets in advance are $7 or $10 at the door. To purchase, go to www.thestagemiami.com.
Who doesn’t love a good comeback? While we won’t hold our breath for Lindsay Lohan’s, in the meantime, we can take a deep breath with the return of a onetime South Beach fave: Rok Bar, which is back with live music nightly from 9 p.m. to midnight and then, for those who prefer freshly spun music, DJs from midnight until 5 a.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
There once was a time in nightlife when people would emerge from a club soaked in sweat, not because the a/c was broken, but because they actually, you know, danced. Texting doesn’t quite work up the same soak, and as a result, Equinox South Beach is throwing a second installment of its zippy Mix N’ Ride cycling class at 6:30 p.m. June 19 featuring DJ Troubles on the turntables The class is so hot, literally and figuratively, that it will be offered on the third Thursday of every month featuring all sorts of DJs from all over the map. Class is free to members and their guests; if you are neither a member nor a friend of a member, it’s $30.
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
- Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island