Velvet Underground: Bubbly, Concerts for Daddy and a Rokbar resurrection
A party for pops, bubbly action around town and the return of a classic bar.
Monday, Bubbly Monday
Here's a reason to get all giddy for Mondays: Throughout the month of June, STK's Magnum Mondays featuring DJ Danny Stern will give a free glass of champagne to the fairer sex from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. For the high rollers, there are complimentary magnum upgrades given to all Veuve Clicquot 750ml purchases, hence the name Magnum.
Tudor House and Highbar have raised the, er, bar, on happy hours, theirs from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and pouring free, unlimited champagne for women the entire time.
Who's Your Daddy?
In honor of Father's Day, at 9 p.m. Friday, June 15, The Stage is featuring a triple bill of local bands--Elastic Bond, Ketchy Shuby and Electric Piquete, who will pay aural tribute to some of music's most important patriarchs of Latin, funk, jazz and soul. Among them: Marvin Gaye, Sergio Mendes and Herbie Hancock. There will also be a special $5 Tom Collins, a cocktail named after "The Father of Mixology", available until midnight. Tickets in advance are $7 or $10 at the door. To purchase, go to www.thestagemiami.com.
Who doesn’t love a good comeback? While we won’t hold our breath for Lindsay Lohan’s, in the meantime, we can take a deep breath with the return of a onetime South Beach fave: Rok Bar, which is back with live music nightly from 9 p.m. to midnight and then, for those who prefer freshly spun music, DJs from midnight until 5 a.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays.
There once was a time in nightlife when people would emerge from a club soaked in sweat, not because the a/c was broken, but because they actually, you know, danced. Texting doesn’t quite work up the same soak, and as a result, Equinox South Beach is throwing a second installment of its zippy Mix N’ Ride cycling class at 6:30 p.m. June 19 featuring DJ Troubles on the turntables The class is so hot, literally and figuratively, that it will be offered on the third Thursday of every month featuring all sorts of DJs from all over the map. Class is free to members and their guests; if you are neither a member nor a friend of a member, it’s $30.
- Sommelier Slam, Thea's Supper Club, Tito Puente, Jr. and YoungArts paints the town
- Nahko and Medicine for the People at Grand Central, Dance Band Night, Electric Piquete & Buck 15 Redux
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore