Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
Will Call Miami throws Uncle Sam's Slam Rock and Roll BBQ and Radio Bar makes Mondays better with locally shot movies
A quintessential American celebration of Independence Day takes place from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, July 4 at the National Hotel Miami Beach, 1677 Collins Ave. featuring not just a BBQ and $5 beer specials but live jazz and blues, poolside, by The Leonard Rutledge Band. The $25 ticket gets you BBQ and pool access not to mention views of the fantastic Miami Beach fireworks starting at 9 p.m. Over at The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions, 5132 Biscayne Blvd., it's a 'Que 'N' Cups party from 6 p.m. until closing on Friday, July 4, where, for $20 per person you get to drink yourself silly at the self serve bar of three large vat punch dispensers serving some spiked stuff, PBR, soda, and, to properly hydrate so you can keep drinking, water. BBQ is available at an extra cost.
Uncle Sam's Slam
A homage to all that's Americana on this Independence Day, Will Call Miami, 700 NE 2nd Ave., is throwing Uncle Sam's Slam Rock and Roll BBQ, featuring a slew of musicians including the COATHANGERS, Frankie Midnight, Crush, The Riot Act, Lying Thieves, Space Between Words, and The Skyline, among others. The equal opportunity party costs a very budget-friendly $10 and includes a beer and a hot dog. PBRs and Rolling Rocks are $4 and Jack Daniels is $7 from 2 p.m. Fireworks show is at 9 p.m. To purchase tickets, go to willcallmiami.com.
United States of Bacon
Though some of us have moved on from the whole bacon obsession, clearly the love for the pork strip isn't going anywhere any time soon as evidenced by the First Annual Bacon Beach, from noon to 11 p.m. Saturday, July 5 at Nikki Beach Miami, 1 Ocean Dr., the place long thought to be a haven for those who are allergic to any sort of fat or grease other than that slathered on their well oiled bodies. At any rate, the celebration of bacon features DJs galore and chefs creating various dishes centered around that beloved bacon. Think bacon mac and cheese, Nutella banana and bacon crepes, bacon maple cannolis and all sorts of stuff that prevents most normal folk from laying out at a beach club without feeling, well, porcine. Tickets are $25 before 2 p.m. or $35 after.
Shot on Site
Radio Bar, 814 1st St., is showing locally shot movies every Monday from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday, July 7 is the Dwayne Johnson/Mark Wahlberg flick Pain and Gain. As you watch their bulging muscles, stuff your faces with free Pizza Bar pizza and flavored popcorn. Then, wash it down with drinks from the extended two-for-one happy hour. No pain, a lot of gain.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard