Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
Will Call Miami throws Uncle Sam's Slam Rock and Roll BBQ and Radio Bar makes Mondays better with locally shot movies
A quintessential American celebration of Independence Day takes place from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, July 4 at the National Hotel Miami Beach, 1677 Collins Ave. featuring not just a BBQ and $5 beer specials but live jazz and blues, poolside, by The Leonard Rutledge Band. The $25 ticket gets you BBQ and pool access not to mention views of the fantastic Miami Beach fireworks starting at 9 p.m. Over at The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions, 5132 Biscayne Blvd., it's a 'Que 'N' Cups party from 6 p.m. until closing on Friday, July 4, where, for $20 per person you get to drink yourself silly at the self serve bar of three large vat punch dispensers serving some spiked stuff, PBR, soda, and, to properly hydrate so you can keep drinking, water. BBQ is available at an extra cost.
Uncle Sam's Slam
A homage to all that's Americana on this Independence Day, Will Call Miami, 700 NE 2nd Ave., is throwing Uncle Sam's Slam Rock and Roll BBQ, featuring a slew of musicians including the COATHANGERS, Frankie Midnight, Crush, The Riot Act, Lying Thieves, Space Between Words, and The Skyline, among others. The equal opportunity party costs a very budget-friendly $10 and includes a beer and a hot dog. PBRs and Rolling Rocks are $4 and Jack Daniels is $7 from 2 p.m. Fireworks show is at 9 p.m. To purchase tickets, go to willcallmiami.com.
United States of Bacon
Though some of us have moved on from the whole bacon obsession, clearly the love for the pork strip isn't going anywhere any time soon as evidenced by the First Annual Bacon Beach, from noon to 11 p.m. Saturday, July 5 at Nikki Beach Miami, 1 Ocean Dr., the place long thought to be a haven for those who are allergic to any sort of fat or grease other than that slathered on their well oiled bodies. At any rate, the celebration of bacon features DJs galore and chefs creating various dishes centered around that beloved bacon. Think bacon mac and cheese, Nutella banana and bacon crepes, bacon maple cannolis and all sorts of stuff that prevents most normal folk from laying out at a beach club without feeling, well, porcine. Tickets are $25 before 2 p.m. or $35 after.
Shot on Site
Radio Bar, 814 1st St., is showing locally shot movies every Monday from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday, July 7 is the Dwayne Johnson/Mark Wahlberg flick Pain and Gain. As you watch their bulging muscles, stuff your faces with free Pizza Bar pizza and flavored popcorn. Then, wash it down with drinks from the extended two-for-one happy hour. No pain, a lot of gain.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo