Vanessa WIlliams singing her heart out
Actress/singer coming to town
Vanessa Williams says money is the key to show business success.
“As long as people know you are bankable, you can do anything,” says the actress and pop music star, who performs Saturday night at Prelude by Barton G. at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami. “It’s all about the almighty dollar. They’ll put you in anything if they think you can make money.” Williams quickly adds:
“The test is to be good.” Clearly, she’s good. And busy. Williams now co-stars on ABC’s hit series Desperate Housewives, which earlier this month won her the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Television Comedy Series. Beginning May 31, she’ll perform eight shows in Tokyo and Osaka, Japan.
“I look forward to sharing my music again in Japan in the hopes that it will lift some spirits and bring a bit of distraction to the grim reality you are all facing,” Williams, 48, writes on her website to the Japanese people, along with a Red Cross message for earthquake and tsunami relief. Closer to home, Williams has performed benefits for U.S. charities including Dress for Success; Amas Musical Theater, a multicultural performing arts group; and The Trevor Project, a suicide prevention group for gay youth. Saturday night, the one-time Miss America takes center stage for two fundraising concerts benefiting the Barton G. Kids Hear Now Foundation at the University of Miami Ear Institute.
In addition to the Prelude performance, Williams sings at a sold-out $1,000-a-person gala at The Villa by Barton G. on Ocean Drive.
On Our Radar
- Victoria's Angel model in Miami for 2 appearances
- Dying to see Jason Alexander at FLIFF?
- Want to spend New Year's Eve with Pitbull?
- Make-A-Wish Ball celebrates 20 years at the InterContinental Miami with Diana Ross performance, Oz theme
- Jingle Ball lineup includes big music names
- Stars come out for Book of Life premiere
- Launch of new Arts & Entertainment District features free coffee on Wednesdays
- Report: Miami ranks No. 1 for attractive people, nightclubs and singles scene
- CIndy Crawford does cocktails in Miami
- One Direction's Harry Styles does Miami