The New York worldbeat rockers play The Fillmore Miami Beach on October 13.
October 13, 2010
The Fillmore Miami Beach
at Jackie Gleason Theater
1700 Washington Ave.
Miami Beach, FL 33139
Curious to hear what it sounds like when the Ivy League meets Afrobeat? You can get a taste at The Fillmore Miami Beach at Jackie Gleason Theater on October 13 during Vampire Weekend's South Florida tour stop.
The New York-based band, which formed in 2006 at Columbia University, burst onto the indie rock scene with its self-titled debut in 2008.
But their sound is far from conventional: The foursome has found a way to meld Afrobeat, world rhythms and baroque pop into a sound that resembles a modern day Paul Simon Graceland.
Early singles "A-Punk," "Oxford Comma" and "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" were moderate college radio hits. But "Horchata," "Cousins" and "Giving Up The Gun" helped propel the group's independent sophomore release, Contra, to an unprecedented debut atop the Billboard 200 charts.
Tickets for Vampire Weekend are available now at Live Nation, and will set you back $48.70. Baltimore-based indie rock duo Beach House will open.
Music in Miami
- Amtrac Takes Over Basement This Friday, August 28
- Life In Color Early Bird Tickets Are Now On Sale
- Concert Review: Ariana Grande's tour stops in South Florida for an energetic homecoming
- Do Not Sit On the Furniture Kicks Off Independence Day Weekend with Nora En Pure
- Willy Chirino and Carlos Oliva deliver the Miami Sound this Saturday at the Arsht Center
- David Crosby performs songs old and new in Miami
- EC Twins Take Over E11EVEN for Cam Con's Official After Party
- 2015 Summer Music Concert Guide for Miami and South Florida
- Space Welcomes Queen of Techno Nicole Moudaber on Saturday, June 6
- Best of the Best Music Fest brings dancehall, soca and reggae to Miami