Miami’s Jungle Island inspired his 2012 spring line
Designer Valentino Vettori and business partner Sam Ben Avraham, who owns Atrium in Miami, will be marking a milestone in the designer world Sept. 13 as their IMPROVD women’s collection will be showcased at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York. The duo’s Spring/Summer 2012 line which was inspired by Miami’s Jungle Island consists of clothing, shoes and accessories. We got to chat up designer Valentino Vettori on why the Magic City influenced his new collection, why it’s suitable for the Miami woman and what it feels like to be part of one of the biggest fashion scenes in the world.
How does it feel to be showing for the first time at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week?
It feels grown up. Simple as that.
Wild parrots inspired your Spring 2012 collection. How did this come about?
This season, I got my inspiration from Miami when I took my daughter, Isabel, to Jungle Island. That was when I first saw the wild parrots and was immediately captivated.
Did you experiment with anything new this time around as far as fabrics or silhouettes or accessories?
There was definitely more experimenting when it came to the prints and how we used them to come out the way I saw them on the birds. We [also] experimented with a hand-woven leather technique.
You launched your flagship store in the Meatpacking District this February. Are there plans to set up shop in Miami as well?
We’d like to first open another store in NYC, but Miami is definitely on the radar.
Tell us about your Miami client?
The Spring/Summer 2012 line is perfect for Miami. The strong colors and silhouettes of the newest season fits the Miami woman.
- For the Love of Frida Kahlo — and her Fashionista Ways
- Knock-Off Handbags are Aplenty in Miami — But the Real Deal is Always Better
- Keeping Up With Camilla
- Coral Gables native and Miami-based designer Alexis Barbara Isaias shares her local musts.
- 5 Surprising Facts About Kimora Lee Simmons
- Bammies: A Miami Startup Making Pajamas Work Appropriate
- Art Basel Brings a Louis Vuitton and Marcel Wanders Collaboration
- Meet Miami's Own Designer Behind The Nomadic Collector
- Shinola Opens in Wynwood
- Stuart Weitzman Knows What Women Want