Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
Umami Burger closes; chef shuffles at Blue Collar & Swine
Some summer housekeeping and whatnot:
Umami Burger (1080 Alton Rd., Miami Beach) is now closed. While we can't read the fine print on the closed sign posted on its door, we did contact a rep for the hailed burger chain to find out what's what or what was. The South Beach outpost opened just over a year ago.
And here's the official Umami Restaurant Group statement: "We regret to announce that Umami South Beach had its last day of service on Sunday, June 22nd. Due to ongoing construction issues outside of our control, we are unable to continue operating in this location. We are thankful for our Umami fans in Miami and we look forward to announcing a new location soon. Please visit umami.com and follow us at @umamiburger for our current locations and upcoming openings.”
Daniel Serfer, about to open his new Mignonette oyster bar with Ryan Roman sometime in July, has a new chef de cuisine at Blue Collar: Derek Camejo, former sous chef under Sam Gorenstein at The Raleigh, executive sous at Toro Toro, executive sous chef at Washington, D.C.'s, Cuba Libre under James Beard winner Guillermo Pernot and, most recently, the opening consulting chef for Buns and Buns.
Swine Southern Table & Bar's executive chef Phillip Bryant has left the building to consult at the forthcoming Prost at Mary Brickell Village. Swine honcho John Kunkel, meanwhile, was seen jetting off to Nashville to scout locations for Yardbird Southern Table & Bar.
- These are the most popular Indian restaurants in Miami
- How to get gourmet clean eating in South Beach
- RIP Randazzo's Little Italy in Coral Gables
- Who has Miami's favorite acai bowls? Yelp! weighs in
- Tap 42 opening second Miami location in ex-Aperio space in Midtown
- Nibble + Squeak dining club for "parents with pipsqueaks" launches in Miami August 24 at Mignonette
- The Rumor Mill: Murmurs of more Miami restaurant, market closings and chef firings . . .
- 305 Brews beer and coffee bar opening in August in Midtown Miami
- Alex Chang leaves The Vagabond, which will re-debut with new chef, new name
- Food Network chef Ben Vaughn joins Swine Southern Table & Bar for 2-month takeover