Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
Umami Burger closes; chef shuffles at Blue Collar & Swine
Some summer housekeeping and whatnot:
Umami Burger (1080 Alton Rd., Miami Beach) is now closed. While we can't read the fine print on the closed sign posted on its door, we did contact a rep for the hailed burger chain to find out what's what or what was. The South Beach outpost opened just over a year ago.
And here's the official Umami Restaurant Group statement: "We regret to announce that Umami South Beach had its last day of service on Sunday, June 22nd. Due to ongoing construction issues outside of our control, we are unable to continue operating in this location. We are thankful for our Umami fans in Miami and we look forward to announcing a new location soon. Please visit umami.com and follow us at @umamiburger for our current locations and upcoming openings.”
Daniel Serfer, about to open his new Mignonette oyster bar with Ryan Roman sometime in July, has a new chef de cuisine at Blue Collar: Derek Camejo, former sous chef under Sam Gorenstein at The Raleigh, executive sous at Toro Toro, executive sous chef at Washington, D.C.'s, Cuba Libre under James Beard winner Guillermo Pernot and, most recently, the opening consulting chef for Buns and Buns.
Swine Southern Table & Bar's executive chef Phillip Bryant has left the building to consult at the forthcoming Prost at Mary Brickell Village. Swine honcho John Kunkel, meanwhile, was seen jetting off to Nashville to scout locations for Yardbird Southern Table & Bar.
- New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar?
- Mignonette oyster bar in Miami's Edgwater slated for Aug. 1 opening and we have the menu!
- Jerry's Famous Deli on South Beach is now closed
- Now open: N by Naoe, Kevin Cory's new Brickell Key prix fixe lunch spot
- Ibiza club and Señor Frog's opening in South Beach?
- Khong River House experiments with new menu items
- Closed for "summer vacation": La Maison Miami
- CATCH is closed and allegedly moving to a new Miami location
- NYC-based the Chef Agency expands to Miami
- The Rumor Mill: Bal Harbour's La Goulue on way out, Stephen Starr in