Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
Umami Burger closes; chef shuffles at Blue Collar & Swine
Some summer housekeeping and whatnot:
Umami Burger (1080 Alton Rd., Miami Beach) is now closed. While we can't read the fine print on the closed sign posted on its door, we did contact a rep for the hailed burger chain to find out what's what or what was. The South Beach outpost opened just over a year ago.
And here's the official Umami Restaurant Group statement: "We regret to announce that Umami South Beach had its last day of service on Sunday, June 22nd. Due to ongoing construction issues outside of our control, we are unable to continue operating in this location. We are thankful for our Umami fans in Miami and we look forward to announcing a new location soon. Please visit umami.com and follow us at @umamiburger for our current locations and upcoming openings.”
Daniel Serfer, about to open his new Mignonette oyster bar with Ryan Roman sometime in July, has a new chef de cuisine at Blue Collar: Derek Camejo, former sous chef under Sam Gorenstein at The Raleigh, executive sous at Toro Toro, executive sous chef at Washington, D.C.'s, Cuba Libre under James Beard winner Guillermo Pernot and, most recently, the opening consulting chef for Buns and Buns.
Swine Southern Table & Bar's executive chef Phillip Bryant has left the building to consult at the forthcoming Prost at Mary Brickell Village. Swine honcho John Kunkel, meanwhile, was seen jetting off to Nashville to scout locations for Yardbird Southern Table & Bar.
- DB Bistro Moderne Miami goes casual for the summer
- Sugar Factory American Brasserie to celebrate its Miami opening in June with Kylie Jenner
- Amy Kalinowski is the new pastry chef at Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
- PBS Chef Irie's May 7 Hidden Kitchen collaboration
- The Local Craft Food & Drink launches new menu at open-to-public party tonight
- Morimoto South Beach launches $65 'Greatest Hits' menu
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Caviar launches Miami delivery service from Blue Collar, Miami Smokers and more
- BBQ night at Harry's Pizzeria