Umami Burger in Miami Beach closed; Blue Collar has new chef de cuisine; Phillip Bryant leaves Swine
Umami Burger closes; chef shuffles at Blue Collar & Swine
Some summer housekeeping and whatnot:
Umami Burger (1080 Alton Rd., Miami Beach) is now closed. While we can't read the fine print on the closed sign posted on its door, we did contact a rep for the hailed burger chain to find out what's what or what was. The South Beach outpost opened just over a year ago.
And here's the official Umami Restaurant Group statement: "We regret to announce that Umami South Beach had its last day of service on Sunday, June 22nd. Due to ongoing construction issues outside of our control, we are unable to continue operating in this location. We are thankful for our Umami fans in Miami and we look forward to announcing a new location soon. Please visit umami.com and follow us at @umamiburger for our current locations and upcoming openings.”
Daniel Serfer, about to open his new Mignonette oyster bar with Ryan Roman sometime in July, has a new chef de cuisine at Blue Collar: Derek Camejo, former sous chef under Sam Gorenstein at The Raleigh, executive sous at Toro Toro, executive sous chef at Washington, D.C.'s, Cuba Libre under James Beard winner Guillermo Pernot and, most recently, the opening consulting chef for Buns and Buns.
Swine Southern Table & Bar's executive chef Phillip Bryant has left the building to consult at the forthcoming Prost at Mary Brickell Village. Swine honcho John Kunkel, meanwhile, was seen jetting off to Nashville to scout locations for Yardbird Southern Table & Bar.
- Marion Miami restaurant gets set to open in Brickell
- Dinner Lab hosts Miami meal with gin pairings on Aug. 25
- Miami restaurateur Michael Schwartz faces federal lawsuit alleging employee mistreatment
- Wynwood Diner opens this weekend in Miami
- The District, Moye restaurants close in Miami
- Golden Fig opening to the public July 27
- Hallandale Beach's Hyde Beach Kitchen+Cocktails opening September 1
- Chef Allen Susser delivers a sustainable seafood dinner
- Wapo Taco! opening Coral Gables location Friday July 10 with free tacos & beer
- Golden Fig farmhouse restaurant opening late summer in ex OTC space