Ultimate Miami Drag Queen, Hot Dog Fest and dbQ highlight the weekend
Drag queens, hot dogs and cheap(er) eats at db Moderne.
Take a Drag
If it wanted to, Miami could always change its nickname to the Diva City. Or, if you're speaking in terms of drag queens, the Royal City. And at 9 p.m. Saturday, July 13, Stage 305 at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave, will determine just who wears the official crown at the Ultimate Miami Drag Queen contest featuring blogger Perez Hilton as a judge and performances by Ru Paul's All Stars Drag Race winner and Cher channeler Chad Michaels and disco legend Thelma Houston. The winner of the title wins a cash prize of $5,000. Tickets aren't nearly as costly at $40 including a drink and hors d'oeuvres during the first hour. Call 305-460-6579 or go to www.magicitycasino.com for more information. And may the best queen win.
In celebration of National Hot Dog Month, the Burger Beast is changing gears for a bit by throwing a Hot Dog Fest from 2 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 13 at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. In addition to a booze-soaked "Sip and Slide," there will also be the 2nd Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest as well as dog slinging food trucks. Admission is free but does not include Tums. For those who can never consume too many wieners, the 'fest will move up to Jupiter and Plantation on July 21 and 28, respectively. For more information, go to www.thehotdogfest.com.
How nice would it be to leave a club for a change with more than you came in with, besides, of course, the inevitable hangover? At Cameo, 1445 Washington Ave., now's your chance! Every guest who enters the door during July will receive a raffle ticket to win a Fiat 500 by Gucci. One winner will drive away (or have a driver, hopefully) with the cool little car when the raffle comes to an end on Saturday, August 3.
Not Your Pappy's BBQ
Downtown Miami's swank db Bistro Moderne, 255 Biscayne Blvd. Way, launches a brand new Friday happening called dbQ, taking place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and featuring affordable foodstuffs priced from $7 to $9 as well as half off drinks from an extensive happy hour menu.
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
- Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island