Ultimate Miami Drag Queen, Hot Dog Fest and dbQ highlight the weekend
Drag queens, hot dogs and cheap(er) eats at db Moderne.
Take a Drag
If it wanted to, Miami could always change its nickname to the Diva City. Or, if you're speaking in terms of drag queens, the Royal City. And at 9 p.m. Saturday, July 13, Stage 305 at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave, will determine just who wears the official crown at the Ultimate Miami Drag Queen contest featuring blogger Perez Hilton as a judge and performances by Ru Paul's All Stars Drag Race winner and Cher channeler Chad Michaels and disco legend Thelma Houston. The winner of the title wins a cash prize of $5,000. Tickets aren't nearly as costly at $40 including a drink and hors d'oeuvres during the first hour. Call 305-460-6579 or go to www.magicitycasino.com for more information. And may the best queen win.
In celebration of National Hot Dog Month, the Burger Beast is changing gears for a bit by throwing a Hot Dog Fest from 2 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 13 at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. In addition to a booze-soaked "Sip and Slide," there will also be the 2nd Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest as well as dog slinging food trucks. Admission is free but does not include Tums. For those who can never consume too many wieners, the 'fest will move up to Jupiter and Plantation on July 21 and 28, respectively. For more information, go to www.thehotdogfest.com.
How nice would it be to leave a club for a change with more than you came in with, besides, of course, the inevitable hangover? At Cameo, 1445 Washington Ave., now's your chance! Every guest who enters the door during July will receive a raffle ticket to win a Fiat 500 by Gucci. One winner will drive away (or have a driver, hopefully) with the cool little car when the raffle comes to an end on Saturday, August 3.
Not Your Pappy's BBQ
Downtown Miami's swank db Bistro Moderne, 255 Biscayne Blvd. Way, launches a brand new Friday happening called dbQ, taking place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and featuring affordable foodstuffs priced from $7 to $9 as well as half off drinks from an extensive happy hour menu.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more