Ultimate Miami Drag Queen, Hot Dog Fest and dbQ highlight the weekend
Drag queens, hot dogs and cheap(er) eats at db Moderne.
Take a Drag
If it wanted to, Miami could always change its nickname to the Diva City. Or, if you're speaking in terms of drag queens, the Royal City. And at 9 p.m. Saturday, July 13, Stage 305 at the Magic City Casino, 450 NW 37th Ave, will determine just who wears the official crown at the Ultimate Miami Drag Queen contest featuring blogger Perez Hilton as a judge and performances by Ru Paul's All Stars Drag Race winner and Cher channeler Chad Michaels and disco legend Thelma Houston. The winner of the title wins a cash prize of $5,000. Tickets aren't nearly as costly at $40 including a drink and hors d'oeuvres during the first hour. Call 305-460-6579 or go to www.magicitycasino.com for more information. And may the best queen win.
In celebration of National Hot Dog Month, the Burger Beast is changing gears for a bit by throwing a Hot Dog Fest from 2 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 13 at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave. In addition to a booze-soaked "Sip and Slide," there will also be the 2nd Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest as well as dog slinging food trucks. Admission is free but does not include Tums. For those who can never consume too many wieners, the 'fest will move up to Jupiter and Plantation on July 21 and 28, respectively. For more information, go to www.thehotdogfest.com.
How nice would it be to leave a club for a change with more than you came in with, besides, of course, the inevitable hangover? At Cameo, 1445 Washington Ave., now's your chance! Every guest who enters the door during July will receive a raffle ticket to win a Fiat 500 by Gucci. One winner will drive away (or have a driver, hopefully) with the cool little car when the raffle comes to an end on Saturday, August 3.
Not Your Pappy's BBQ
Downtown Miami's swank db Bistro Moderne, 255 Biscayne Blvd. Way, launches a brand new Friday happening called dbQ, taking place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and featuring affordable foodstuffs priced from $7 to $9 as well as half off drinks from an extensive happy hour menu.
- Top 5 boozy, beat-infused, beatniky, body-beautiful and beneficent Miami events
- 4 fab Miami events this week
- 4 parties in Miami from pool to dinner to retro
- Where to find the parties and cocktails in Miami - Aug. 5-11
- Amidst bleak world news, Miami gets happy: 4 spirit-boosting cocktail hours
- 5 events for Miami bon vivants
- 5 events in Miami for connoisseurs of scotch, cigars, meat and bikinis
- 4 fab Miami happenings plus one swanky dinner in Fort Lauderdale
- 4 parties in Miami to put on your social agenda - July 1-4
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!