The trouble with Miami restaurant Seasalt & Pepper
Lawsuit: Infighting peppers the Miami River hot spot
Legal writer Julie Kay's article yesterday in the Daily Business Review about bad blood at Seasalt & Pepper may come as no surprise to some, who have been whispering about trouble since before the restaurant even opened.
A lawsuit filed by owner Stephane Dupoux against his partner Carlos Miranda, two other investors and the company that owns the restaurant's Miami River building claims Dupoux has pretty much been thrown out of the place. Seasalt's attorney, Robert Zarco, says he has been asked to ban Dupoux from eating at the restaurant because of "allegations of disruptive behavior," according to Kay's story.
Dupoux's lawsuit goes on to allege that "Miranda, who by virtue of a resolution purports to have management rights in Seasalt, has made a series of decisions which fundamentally alter the restaurant concept, compromise the restaurant's reputation and image, and undermine the restaurant's future success."
Dupoux also says the restaurant brings in $300,000 a week.
An allegation that's not mentioned in the lawsuit (but one that we experienced firsthand): the restaurant's management has been known to issue fake celebrity sightings in an attempt to stir up publicity. Not shocking or lawsuit-worthy, of course, but still ... more than a little shady, to say the least.
We contacted a spokesperson for the restaurant for comment and have yet to hear back. Stay tuned.
- Morimoto South Beach opening October 1 and we have the menu!
- Top Chef Masters contestant Herb Wilson is executive chef of SoFi's forthcoming Red Ginger
- Michelle Bernstein to bring a little Crumb on Parchment to Miami Dolphins games
- Albert Trummer's Drawing Room Bar & Lounge to open at new Shelborne
- Seasalt & Pepper slammed with new lawsuits
- La Maison owes $12,922.69 in back rent
- Adria Alum opening Piripi in the Gables
- London's Coya opening on Brickell
- Unlimited tacos and beer for $18.21 debuts at Toro Toro
- New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar