Tracy Morgan doing standup at Magic City Casino
Could Tracy Morgan be mellowing? Seems fatherhood is taming the former 30 Rock star and Saturday Night Live comedian, who turns 45 Nov. 10. Baby Maven, with fiancee Megan Wollover, is 3 months old.
The Bronx-born Scare Tactics host also has three grown sons with his ex wife. We’ll be the judge once he’s up on stage, headlining the Ultimate Miami Bartender at Magic City Casino at 8:30 p.m. Friday.
What is your show at Stage 305 going to be like?
I’m always evolving, I’ve got a few things I’m working on. I’ve grown up, you know? OK, I talk about sex, but that’s because I just had a baby. I’ve stepped back from the vulgarity and am focusing more on the funny. I want people to put away their camera phones and just enjoy it. Just accept it, and let’s have some fun.
So no camera phones. Are you not a big cellphone person?
No, I’m old school. I have an imagination. I like to talk to people in person.
Speaking of your daughter, what stage is she in? Lots of sleepless nights for you?
She doesn’t wake up at all. I get my eight hours. Who told you babies are tough? Having a baby is gorgeous. She’s our joy. The problems start when they get older. Maven’s a very smart girl, laughing and growing every day. I feel lucky; I feel blessed.
Are you more of a morning person now that you have a newborn in the house?
Not really, I love the night. In the morning, I’m all business: Work out at the gym, writing, meetings. Come the night, I shut it down and then it’s me and my family relaxing at my home in New Jersey. We just chill.
How does Tracy Morgan chill?
I don’t watch regular TV. It’s more Netflix and iTunes for me; a lot of horror movies, monsters. I just caught Vincent Price’s The Raven. I prefer the classics. When I’m home, I’m not in the public eye, and I want my privacy and quiet time. People may not know that I’m a laid-back person and fairly subdued and low key. Offstage, I don’t keep that energy up.
On Our Radar
- Telenovela hunk William Levy hits the big screen
- Local Bachelor Juan Pablo takes it slow
- Supermodel Nina Agdal to make in store appearance
- Rumor mill: Shakira switches brokers midstream
- Local cake makers get reality show, 'Divas del Azucar'
- Wilmer Valderrama will judge Calle Ocho fashion show
- John Turturro to be honored at MIFF
- Cadillac V-series Challenge puts pro golfers, VIPs on the fast track at Homestead-Miami Speedway
- Oprah's Fisher Island home sells again
- Shirley MacLaine to appear at Miami International Film Fest