Top ranked competitive eater in the world, Joey Chestnut, will be in Miami for the Hooters National Wing Eating Tour
Miami finally makes it to the major leagues--of competitive eating
Miami's finally made it to the major leagues--of eating, that is. Joey Chestnut, the #1 competitive eater in the world, will join top major league eaters for a stop on the National Wing Eating Tour, an official qualifier of the Hooters World Wing-Eating Championship, at 7 p.m. June 22 at the Fontainebleau. The contest occurs the night before Hooters International Swimsuit Pageant in which none of the competitive eaters will thankfully appear. The winner of the 10-minute wing eating contest in Miami will advance to the finals in New York City in late July.
Chestnut, the five time July Fourth Hot Dog Eating champ who also holds world records in eating mass quantities of fried asparagus, chili and Philly cheesesteaks, is expected to down more than 150 wings. Also on-hand in Miami for an exhibition round will be the world's top-ranked female competitor, Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas. Thomas, who weighs just 100 pounds, qualified for the wing-eating finals in an earlier stop on the tour by downing 140 wings in 10 minutes. She has defeated Chestnut on several occasions in the wing-eating discipline, and if Chestnut advances to the finals, we're sure to see a history-making match between the two next month.
Representing South Florida, Rebecca Oey of West Palm Beach will make her first official Major League Eating appearance since taking home Florida’s Amateur Corned Beef Sandwich Eating Championship title. A host of Miami-area challengers will also compete. Major League Eating is registering competitors at www.IFOCE.com. All competitors must be at least 21 years old.
“We are thrilled to be working with this iconic American restaurant and excited to bring Major League Eating back to Miami,” said George Shea, Chairman of Major League Eating. “I am pretty sure we’ll see history be made on June 22.” By its sheer presence here alone, it already has been.
- Blackbrick Brings on the Brunch
- Pubbelly introduces PB Fish, a seafood pop-up at PB Steak starting April 8
- AQ by Acqualina, featuring Dewey LoSasso & Hiro's Yakko San
- Mansion morphing into "Miami-style country western line dancing" club with Blue Collar's Danny Serfer serving "large plates"
- Las Olas hot spot American Social opening in ex Waxy O'Connor's space
- Allen Susser's Daily Melt grilling the cheese up in Fort Lauderdale on April 1
- Brewery Ommegang's HopChef competition heads to Miami in April
- Nina Compton cooks at Swine Southern Table & Bar on April 24
- Loba, "Latin spice and Southern Comfort" coming to Biscayne Blvd.
- La Mar by Gastón Acurio opens at Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Wednesday, March 19