Top Three Things to Do at Fleet Week
Celebrate our seafaring men and women with a huge bash at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.
From April 25-30, South Florida's citizens can rub elbows with seafaring military personnel at Fleet Week Port Everglades 2012, a yearly celebration hosted by Broward Navy Days, Inc. to assist with the morale and welfare of members of our maritime military services. Port Everglades will receive nearly 2,500 men and women of the US Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard as well as a few friends from the Royal Canadian Navy and Deutsche Marine (Germany). Here are the top three places to show our uniformed men and women how much you appreciate them while they are docked in our port.
1. All Hands on Deck Welcoming Party
Your country needs you to help show our maritime heroes a good time. The kickoff bash features a variety of fun activities including a Ship’s Call and a Sailor of the Year presentation, live entertainment by the “Pride” Navy Band and a swimsuit contest at Hooter’s. The party culminates in a spectacular musically synchronized fireworks display at 9 p.m. Seminole Paradise retailers will also be offering various food and drink specials all evening.
Wednesday, Apr. 25 from 6 - 10 p.m. Seminole Paradise at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 1 Seminole Way, Hollywood,
2. Ship Tours
Take a guided tour of several of the docked ships including a submarine (score!). Since we are talking about the military, there has to be some order here, people. Reservations must be made online and are contingent on background checks by the Broward Sheriff's Office (no lie). Kids under 8 are not invited. Tours of the ships will be available on Thursday through Sunday (April 26-29). Tours will run daily starting at 9 a.m. through 3:30 p.m. and last approximately 30-45 minutes. Check out Amphibious Assault, USS Wasp (LHD-1) or Guided Missile Cruiser, USS Gettysburg (CG-64), Frigate, USS Dewert (FFG-45). There will be limited tours to see Submarine (SSN) and Coast Guard Cutter, USCGC Bernard Webber (WPC-1101). To register visit browardnavydaysinc.org.
3. Galley Wars
Feeding a ship full of hungry sailors with limited ingredients is a true art form. The Galley Wars competition pits military culinary specialists from the ships participating in Fleet Week against each other in a contest to prepare the best meal using only surprise ingredients. Attendess will indulge in an outstanding meal prepared by some of the most talented and resourceful military culinary specialists in the country and enjoy a festive evening with an open bar, live music and tropical pig roast to compliment the competitors creations.
Saturday, April 28, 6-10 p.m. at 4351 NE 12th Ter., Oakland Park. Tickets $75.
See and Do
- Puppet shows, storytimes, spring break & 10 other fun things to do this week
- King Arthur and his knights get goofy in ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Mar. 7-9
- Calle Ocho: 5 Things we are excited about this year
- Daddy Yankee reigns as the King of Calle Ocho
- World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship brings golf and more to Doral
- Fair freebies, 110 years of Dr Seuss, Lego builds & 10 other fun things to do this week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 28-Mar. 2
- Carnaval on the Mile kicks off a busy month in Miami