Top Chef winner will cook for you
Kevin Sbraga at Johnson & Wales
On Friday night, you can get a taste of some of the mouthwatering food served on the Bravo show, when Season 7 winner Kevin Sbraga cooks up a public dinner at Johnson & Wales.
The four-course meal includes a Caesar salad with sous vide chicken, fish and chips with various tartar sauces and meat loaf with chanterelles, bacon marmalade, pickled onion and truffle. Sbraga’s dessert is a sure palette pleaser — banana split topped with strawberry confection, chocolate ganache and pineapple. Save room for that one. If you recall, the New Jersey native, 31, wowed the discriminating panel with his dessert that fateful night on Top Chef: D.C.
What made his Singapore Sling so amazing? “I really transformed the original cocktail,’’ says Sbraga. “I used every tropical fruit I could find and then froze them into a kind of granita over a coconut panna cotta. There were a lot of textures. and it was really beautiful.’’
But getting to the finish line wasn’t such a cinch. The judges were hard to please, especially no-nonsense Colicchio. “He’s very tough to cook for,’’ Sbraga says of the New York restaurateur. “It depends what he’s in the mood for that day and what his expectations are. And at the end of the day, he’s the one making the ultimate decision.’’
On Our Radar
- Estelle paints the town red at Blue Martini
- Giving advice on the modeling industry
- Maks Chmerkovskiy dancing into town
- Want to buy Scottie Pippen's house?
- Meet Jason Taylor at Macy's
- Popular TV anchor Louis Aguirre leaving Miami for Hollywood gig
- Diana Ross headlining annual gala
- Duran Duran movie coming to Miami Beach Cinematheque
- Tryouts for Estefan musical at Arsht
- Erasure kicks off its world tour at The Fillmore