Top Chef winner will cook for you
Kevin Sbraga at Johnson & Wales
On Friday night, you can get a taste of some of the mouthwatering food served on the Bravo show, when Season 7 winner Kevin Sbraga cooks up a public dinner at Johnson & Wales.
The four-course meal includes a Caesar salad with sous vide chicken, fish and chips with various tartar sauces and meat loaf with chanterelles, bacon marmalade, pickled onion and truffle. Sbraga’s dessert is a sure palette pleaser — banana split topped with strawberry confection, chocolate ganache and pineapple. Save room for that one. If you recall, the New Jersey native, 31, wowed the discriminating panel with his dessert that fateful night on Top Chef: D.C.
What made his Singapore Sling so amazing? “I really transformed the original cocktail,’’ says Sbraga. “I used every tropical fruit I could find and then froze them into a kind of granita over a coconut panna cotta. There were a lot of textures. and it was really beautiful.’’
But getting to the finish line wasn’t such a cinch. The judges were hard to please, especially no-nonsense Colicchio. “He’s very tough to cook for,’’ Sbraga says of the New York restaurateur. “It depends what he’s in the mood for that day and what his expectations are. And at the end of the day, he’s the one making the ultimate decision.’’
On Our Radar
- Ivanka Trump, on fashion, work, motherhood, Miami
- Giant un-retouched selfie at The Mondrian
- Madonna is kicking off her 35-city tour in Miami
- Hank Azaria playing emcee at local gala on Sunday night
- Talking to Ana Maria in Novela Land star
- Chazz Palminteri tells his 'Bronx Tale'
- Athletes seen partying in Miami
- Is Miami Heat star Chris Bosh OK?
- Latin stars come together for Premios Lo Nuestro
- William Levy front and center at rum event