Top Chef winner will cook for you
Kevin Sbraga at Johnson & Wales
On Friday night, you can get a taste of some of the mouthwatering food served on the Bravo show, when Season 7 winner Kevin Sbraga cooks up a public dinner at Johnson & Wales.
The four-course meal includes a Caesar salad with sous vide chicken, fish and chips with various tartar sauces and meat loaf with chanterelles, bacon marmalade, pickled onion and truffle. Sbraga’s dessert is a sure palette pleaser — banana split topped with strawberry confection, chocolate ganache and pineapple. Save room for that one. If you recall, the New Jersey native, 31, wowed the discriminating panel with his dessert that fateful night on Top Chef: D.C.
What made his Singapore Sling so amazing? “I really transformed the original cocktail,’’ says Sbraga. “I used every tropical fruit I could find and then froze them into a kind of granita over a coconut panna cotta. There were a lot of textures. and it was really beautiful.’’
But getting to the finish line wasn’t such a cinch. The judges were hard to please, especially no-nonsense Colicchio. “He’s very tough to cook for,’’ Sbraga says of the New York restaurateur. “It depends what he’s in the mood for that day and what his expectations are. And at the end of the day, he’s the one making the ultimate decision.’’
On Our Radar
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution
- Puff Daddy and pals to take stage at Fontainebleau
- Miami Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton single & looking
- Brandon Flowers cancels Fillmore concert
- Zac Efron makes surprise visit to Regal, spins at Grand Central
- Ice Cube and co in town for 'Straight Outta Compton'