Tobacco Road opens 'The Cocktail Collection' to recreate the space's speakeasy vibe from Prohibition
Miami's oldest bar returns to its roots by retrofitting the second floor into a cabaret with cocktails and live music
The Cocktail Collection at Tobacco Road, 626 S. Miami Ave., Miami; 305-374-1198
Open 7 p.m. - 2 a.m. Wednesday - Saturday. Half-price ($6) cocktails from 7 - 9 p.m. on weeknights.
Tobacco Road is revitalizing the spirit of the speakeasy that once reigned on its second floor. From 1920 to 1933, the upstairs of Miami’s oldest bar was known as “The Bakery” among in-the-know locals and notorious characters, all of whom imbibed there illegally during Prohibition. The space was even used by Al Capone as his personal gambling den.
The Cocktail Collection reflects the vision of Patrick Gleber, a longtime partner in the business of the centenarian bar, and Miami-based mixologist Leo Holtzman. The duo joined forces to “combine a bit of old-world history with modern magic.”
They retrofitted the upstairs from a relative dive to a suitable retreat for cocktails and live musical performances that will take them through the end of the three-year lease with the group Tobacco Road Property Holdings that purchased the land in 2012.
Twelve cocktails created by Holtzman grace a menu that will change seasonally. His initial list of classics and twists on classics ($12) will be available through April.
“We celebrate the cocktail – pure and simple,” Holtzman said.
Bourbon, yuzu, ginger
A variation of a Presbyterian, which historically comprises Scotch whisky and ginger ale
Rum, mint, lime
Gin, peach, elderﬂower
A new-age cocktail
THE CHILE MULE
Vodka, ginger puree, serrano pepper
A twist on a Moscow Mule
Champagne, gin, lemon
A twist on a French 75
Bourbon, bitters, smoke
Manhattan and an Old Fashioned hybrid
Infused vodka, espresso, Baileys Irish Cream
White rum, mint, yuzu, Prosecco
Reposado, bell pepper, serrano pepper, lime
Rum, lime, grapefruit
The original recipe for the literary legend’s favorite cocktail
- Go Drink This: Sweet Tarts Cocktail
- All-star team brings 'Sweet Liberty Drink and Supply Company' to South Beach in December
- Go Drink This: White Cosmo
- Go Drink This: Bellini at Cipriani Miami
- Go Drink This: Spicy Roman at Set Nightclub
- Go Drink This: Katsuya Fresh at Katsuya South Beach
- All Hail the Cocktail: trends migrate to Miami from Tales of the Cocktail
- Go Drink This: The Alluring Gem
- Miami bar, brewery, lounge and nightclub openings, plus big plans for hotel nightlife
- Brickell's first pop-up cocktail bar 'Better Days' opens in an incognito space