Tobacco Road hosts tribute to Celia; pets and models go on display
Plenty of ways to mix and mingle this weekend and beyond
Miami's fave Latin funk/fusion band Electric Piquete will pay tribute to the late Celia Cruz and the Fania All Stars at 10:30 p.m. Friday, July 13 at Tobacco Road. The band will play three one hour sets including original material and their favorite Fania covers in the upstairs cabaret. Cover is $5 after 9 p.m. for 21 and over. For more
information on the show, call 305-374-1198 or visit tobacco-road.com.
A Bar's Mitzvah
Although not technically a singles' event, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday July 19, Ricochet in Midtown is hosting a Jewish professionals’ mix and mingle featuring an art exhibit by Dream Pop Portraits, music by DJ Danny Stern and a "free" cocktail with a $10 donation to the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces.
The dog days of summer are really getting hot and heavy thanks to PetNet, the young professionals group of the Humane Society of Greater Miami, whose Doggies & Divas event from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at Bamboo nightclub will raise funds for homeless pets. Admission is $20 at the door and includes complimentary Tequila Alacran cocktails from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will also be fashion shows of the human and canine kind as well as models, some dogs, some prett--er, some humans. To RSVP email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-749-1814.
With a name like Splashion, it has to be, well, never mind. From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Wednesday, July 18, LIV nightclub in the Fontainebleau will be transformed into a wetter than usual hot spot where clothing is almost option but for a swimsuit. For the models - that's just for the models, the ones walking in a full blown swim fashion show to kick off Miami's forthcoming Swim Week. In addition to the show, there will be a live performance by Kulture Shock, free cocktails, free makeup applications, readings from, we kid you not, a "professional lipologist" who reads into you based on your napkin stamped lip print, and music by DJ 360. The MIAMI Magazine event is free and open to the public. Just RSVP to www.modernluxury.com/splashion.
Drag personality Shelley Novak knows a thing or two about movies and Hollywood, having just returned to Miami from Tinseltown and whatnot. Bringing a little of that celluloid pomp and circumstance back from the left coast, Novak’s Tuesday night Movie Club pays homage to classics such as the kickoff film, James Bond classic 'Diamonds are Forever', screening for free at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at Burger & Beer Joint’s Bay Road location. Says Novak, “Not only will we be showing crowd pleasing blockbusters, but after a while we will show cult classics, film noir and, my favorite, ‘public domain theater.’”
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
- Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island