Tobacco Road hosts tribute to Celia; pets and models go on display
Plenty of ways to mix and mingle this weekend and beyond
Miami's fave Latin funk/fusion band Electric Piquete will pay tribute to the late Celia Cruz and the Fania All Stars at 10:30 p.m. Friday, July 13 at Tobacco Road. The band will play three one hour sets including original material and their favorite Fania covers in the upstairs cabaret. Cover is $5 after 9 p.m. for 21 and over. For more
information on the show, call 305-374-1198 or visit tobacco-road.com.
A Bar's Mitzvah
Although not technically a singles' event, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday July 19, Ricochet in Midtown is hosting a Jewish professionals’ mix and mingle featuring an art exhibit by Dream Pop Portraits, music by DJ Danny Stern and a "free" cocktail with a $10 donation to the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces.
The dog days of summer are really getting hot and heavy thanks to PetNet, the young professionals group of the Humane Society of Greater Miami, whose Doggies & Divas event from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at Bamboo nightclub will raise funds for homeless pets. Admission is $20 at the door and includes complimentary Tequila Alacran cocktails from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will also be fashion shows of the human and canine kind as well as models, some dogs, some prett--er, some humans. To RSVP email email@example.com or call 305-749-1814.
With a name like Splashion, it has to be, well, never mind. From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Wednesday, July 18, LIV nightclub in the Fontainebleau will be transformed into a wetter than usual hot spot where clothing is almost option but for a swimsuit. For the models - that's just for the models, the ones walking in a full blown swim fashion show to kick off Miami's forthcoming Swim Week. In addition to the show, there will be a live performance by Kulture Shock, free cocktails, free makeup applications, readings from, we kid you not, a "professional lipologist" who reads into you based on your napkin stamped lip print, and music by DJ 360. The MIAMI Magazine event is free and open to the public. Just RSVP to www.modernluxury.com/splashion.
Drag personality Shelley Novak knows a thing or two about movies and Hollywood, having just returned to Miami from Tinseltown and whatnot. Bringing a little of that celluloid pomp and circumstance back from the left coast, Novak’s Tuesday night Movie Club pays homage to classics such as the kickoff film, James Bond classic 'Diamonds are Forever', screening for free at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at Burger & Beer Joint’s Bay Road location. Says Novak, “Not only will we be showing crowd pleasing blockbusters, but after a while we will show cult classics, film noir and, my favorite, ‘public domain theater.’”
- 4 parties in Miami to put on your social agenda - July 1-4
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort