Tobacco Road hosts tribute to Celia; pets and models go on display
Plenty of ways to mix and mingle this weekend and beyond
Miami's fave Latin funk/fusion band Electric Piquete will pay tribute to the late Celia Cruz and the Fania All Stars at 10:30 p.m. Friday, July 13 at Tobacco Road. The band will play three one hour sets including original material and their favorite Fania covers in the upstairs cabaret. Cover is $5 after 9 p.m. for 21 and over. For more
information on the show, call 305-374-1198 or visit tobacco-road.com.
A Bar's Mitzvah
Although not technically a singles' event, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday July 19, Ricochet in Midtown is hosting a Jewish professionals’ mix and mingle featuring an art exhibit by Dream Pop Portraits, music by DJ Danny Stern and a "free" cocktail with a $10 donation to the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces.
The dog days of summer are really getting hot and heavy thanks to PetNet, the young professionals group of the Humane Society of Greater Miami, whose Doggies & Divas event from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at Bamboo nightclub will raise funds for homeless pets. Admission is $20 at the door and includes complimentary Tequila Alacran cocktails from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will also be fashion shows of the human and canine kind as well as models, some dogs, some prett--er, some humans. To RSVP email email@example.com or call 305-749-1814.
With a name like Splashion, it has to be, well, never mind. From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Wednesday, July 18, LIV nightclub in the Fontainebleau will be transformed into a wetter than usual hot spot where clothing is almost option but for a swimsuit. For the models - that's just for the models, the ones walking in a full blown swim fashion show to kick off Miami's forthcoming Swim Week. In addition to the show, there will be a live performance by Kulture Shock, free cocktails, free makeup applications, readings from, we kid you not, a "professional lipologist" who reads into you based on your napkin stamped lip print, and music by DJ 360. The MIAMI Magazine event is free and open to the public. Just RSVP to www.modernluxury.com/splashion.
Drag personality Shelley Novak knows a thing or two about movies and Hollywood, having just returned to Miami from Tinseltown and whatnot. Bringing a little of that celluloid pomp and circumstance back from the left coast, Novak’s Tuesday night Movie Club pays homage to classics such as the kickoff film, James Bond classic 'Diamonds are Forever', screening for free at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17 at Burger & Beer Joint’s Bay Road location. Says Novak, “Not only will we be showing crowd pleasing blockbusters, but after a while we will show cult classics, film noir and, my favorite, ‘public domain theater.’”
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more