Time to relax with some happy hour specials
Plenty of savings to wet your whistle
There is nothing lost in translation when it comes to happy hours, except, perhaps, the name used to describe it. South of Fifth French spot La Gloutonnerie celebrates la nuit with Sun Down Hour, a fancy way of saying Happy Hour, Monday through Sunday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. throughout the rest of the month. Said Happy—er, Sun Down Hour features $5 glasses of Piper Sonoma Sparkling and Perrin Cote du Rhone Rouge, as well as $7 mixed drinks at $9 cocktails. Sounds like Drink Down Hours to us.
A Fancy Fiesta
Miami’s only Mexican spot with a view that could very well be mistaken for something south of the border (especially with your artsy Instagram skills), The Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne's Cantina Beach is throwing a summer fiesta from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, July 20 featuring DJ-spun tunes, $12 "specially priced" Casa Noble Margaritas, free guacamole bites and Casa Noble tequila samplings.
What's Your Funkshion?
Not all fashion weeks are created equally, which is why Funkshion: Fashion Week Miami Beach SWIM is both a mouthful and a favorite for people who just want to go watch fashion shows for the funk of it. Unlike many so-called fashion weeks, events to Funkshion's shows are open to the public, free of charge as long as you RSVP at the www.fashionweekmiami.com. Among the highlights: Make A Wish with Delray Beach-based designer Nikki Poulos at 9 p.m. Friday in the tent at Collins Park between 21st and 22nd Streets, in which two "Model Wishes" will come true for a few children who will walk in Poulos's own swimwear fashion show. The rest of the weekend will feature sample sales in the tents until at least 9 p.m. There will be booze, bikinis and bargains. Need we say more?
So many swim suits, so many after parties in which swimwear isn't quite the dress code unless, of course, you're a model who just sashayed off a runway. Take the post show party for Mara Hoffman Swim at 11 p.m. Saturday, July 21 at FDR at the Delano where Hoffman and her bikini clad models will celebrate the show as DJ Mia Moretti spins. Open to the public at the doorman's discretion, though with bikini clad models, the doormen may be a bit distracted so entry may be a breeze. Not too far away at the Ritz-Carlton, South Beach, the DiLido Beach Club is hosting a swimwear premiere party for bathing suit designers Maaji and Amour from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, July 21. Feel free to plop your non VIP self into comfy lounge chairs and imbibe on free cocktails from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. because the event is open to the public as long as you RSVP to Events@PlanetfashionTV.com.
It’s no Bonnaroo, but the 5th Annual Super Summer Jam at Tobacco Road from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. Friday, July 20, is a festival of legendary proportions thanks to a 30 foot giant water slide, among other things. Want swim shows? Consider the ‘fest’s $100 sexy swim suit contest, or just, well, jam to the beat of music on four stages. There’s no cover until after 9 p.m. when it’s $5 to get in.
- A different sort of Bonfire of the Vanities at Conde Contemporary, Sassy City Chicks & a Ritzy beer garden
- Velvet Underground: A weird Miami bus tour and an AstroJam highlight the weekend
- Velvet Underground: Mansion nightclub opens 'Cocktails and Dreams' and Craft Spirits Festival kicks off in Coconut Grove
- Velvet Underground: Sneaker Pimps rejoice at Grand Central with Cam'ron and HaVen South Beach hosts Bar Wars
- Velvet Underground: Slap & Tickle pops up underground at FDR and Ball & Chain throws first La Pachanga party
- Velvet Underground: Complimentary wine for women at (petit) Miami and Cat Shell performs at the W South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Dine in style with chef Aaron Dreilinger and Brick House launches throwback dance party series
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to one year of local brews at Wynwood Brewing Company and all-you-can-eat tacos at Toro Toro
- Velvet Underground: African music and culture takes the stage at the Afro Roots World Music Festival and The Broken Shaker invites you to party poolside this Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Balans launches karaoke night and db Bistro Moderne brings back the decadent daily 'DBQ Happy Hour'