Time to Give
Opportunities to give abound in the Magic City.
'Tis the season to give, and not just to your spoiled nephew. Here are a few events going on this week to benefit South Florida organizations that make it their business to help the less fortunate all year round.
FEEDING SOUTH FLORIDA
Paul & Young Ron host “The World’s Longest Morning Show” in their continued effort to collect donations for Feeding South Florida, an organization that provides food to more than 1 million South Floridians experiencing food insecurity during the year.
Friday, Dec. 17, from 6 a.m.-6 p.m., Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, 200 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach. Food and money donations are being accepted at the Web site www.paulandyoungron.com under “Paul & Young Ron’s Food Drive Events,” or at (877) 6-HUNGER.
Perricone’s Marketplace & Café in Miami will be collecting cash donations for Feeding South Florida during its Meet & Greet with Santa Claus. Participants will enjoy refreshments and get a chance to hang with Santa as they help raise funds for the Feeding South Florida.
Sunday, Dec. 19, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Perricone’s Marketplace & Café, 15 SE 10th St., Miami.
RUSSELL LIFE SKILLS AND READING FOUNDATION
Through Dec. 16, customers who donate new, unwrapped toys or gift cards at Mindbody Living will receive 20 percent off any item in the peace love world store or Trendz boutique. All donations will benefit the Russell Life Skills and Reading Foundation (RLSARF), a non-profit organization based in Davie and founded by former NFL player Twan Russell, committed to fighting illiteracy among high-risk youth.
Mindbody Living, 8620 Griffin Road, Cooper City; 954-252-7999.
MIAMI CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
Bring an unwrapped toy or gift card to be donated to Miami Children’s Hospital to this special holiday concert headlined by Tito Puente, Jr. and His Latin Jazz Ensemble at Upstairs at Van Dyke. Additional funds raised through a drawing and voluntary donations will also benefit Miami Children’s Hospital Foundation.
Saturday, Dec. 18 , The Van Dyke Café , 846 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach; shows are at 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. Entry is $20 per person plus a toy or Gift Card.
AMIGOS TOGETHER FOR KIDS
Bring in a new children’s book and receive a free cocktail at Vino & Olio. The books will be donated to Amigos for Kids, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing child abuse and neglect by valuing children, strengthening families and educating communities. DJ Vertigo, the official DJ of the Florida Marlins, and music sensation Elijah King will make special appearances. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday, December 19, 6-9 p.m. Vino & Olio, 139 NE 39th St., Miami; 305-573-0707.
See and Do
- Ayikodans offers a prayer in the form of dance for its sixth season at the Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 5-7
- Skateboards and jazz collide this weekend at YoungArts campus
- Actors’ Playhouse Company turns out a dazzling version of the musical ‘West Side Story’
- Latest touring version of the Tony-winning musical 'Book of Mormon' is a delight
- ‘The Nether’ raises provocative questions about the dark side of the web
- Slow Burn Theatre Company’s ‘Violet’ is a musical about the scars we carry
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 29-31
- 6 reasons Miami's drive-in theater is better than Netflix and chill
- Miami Events - February 2016