Tigertail Productions launches season at Wynwood Walls
Blow-up body art and teen poets at pioneering art group's party
Before the ballet, before the Rhythm Foundation, before South Beach, before Wynwood, before just about all the other arts groups and scenes operating in Miami, there was Mary Luft’s Tigertail Productions. She began bringing cutting edge artists to Miami thirty-five years ago, when paintings of palm trees were still trendy. Luft is still radical and still going; on Tuesday she had HER kick-off party at the Wynwood Walls. Artists love Mary – choreographer/director/performer/agitator Octavio Campos, theater-maker Teo Castellanos, teen poets from Tigertail’s Wordspeak program (the next one is Dec. 27 at Books and Books), and choreographer Rosie Herrera, decoratively decked in an S&Mish black rubber net catsuit, and many more turned out.
The name attraction was Pat Oleszko, down from New York, who’s been making subversively funny body/visual/blow-up art since the 70’s. Oleszko was there as Udder Delight, looking like the walking bunch of grapes in the Fruit of the Loom commercials, except the grapes are white and red blow-up breasts. She was inviting people to peer between the legs of another of her creations, Womb With A View, a giant blow-up doll who opened up with a zipper between her legs. “I love it, they’re like johns in a whorehouse,” Oleszko said, as people lined up, smirking and giggling, and, occasionally, refusing to stick their head between even a rubber woman’s legs. “What, without a condom!” one man shrieked, as his friend dived in. Sex and art and silliness, perfect.
See and Do
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission
- A prelude to Art Basel for locals
- 'Eat Your Words:' a culinary conversation with local writers and top chef Mark Zeitouni at The Standard Miami Beach
- New World Center's Mini-Concerts return with "Yoga Night at the New World Symphony"
- Lucky You! 5 brings art to the people on Nov. 9
- CircX burlesque and cabaret troupe celebrates 10th anniversary