By Solange Reyner
From a performance by the infamous Beach High Rock Ensemble to an art tour at the Ritz Carlton, here’s what’s going on in Zone 3.
- Convention Center Hall D (1901 Convention Center Drive)
Ray Lee puts on four shows at 7, 9, 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. It’s called “Siren” and it’s 45 minutes of theater, sculpture, light and sound. Audience members move around the room, sit or stand, to take in the changing visual and aural perceptions.
- Miami Beach Botanical Garden (2000 Convention Center Drive)
From 9 p.m. to 3 a.m., Dinorah De Jesus Rodriguez shows “O Amor” and “Ephemera,” two moving image installations.
- Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater (1700 Washington Avenue)
Jazz saxophonist Carlos Averhoff Jr. plays with his quartet at 7 p.m., followed by Miami-based timba and salsa trombonist Br@ily at 8:30. From 9 p.m. to midnight, DJ Duni playsn and New York vocalist Jose Pepito Gomez interrupts at 10.
- Temple Beth Shmuel, The Cuban Hebrew Congregation (1700 Michigan)
Watch “The Journey of the Jews,” a 20-minute documentary about the story of Jewish migration from Europe, Turkey and Spain to Cuba. The film starts every hour.
- Cascella Italian Concept Store (1106 Lincoln Road)
From 6 p.m. to 1 a.m., this Italian concept store will be exhibiting paintings and photos of international artists, and showing Italian movies.
- Colony Theatre (1040 Lincoln Road)
At 6 p.m., it’s The Tweaksters – a group of acrobats, athletes, jugglers and dancers. At 8, dancer/choreographer/musician Julie Dossavi performs in a series of solo duets. A Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Bisexual performing arts showcase takes place at 10 p.m., with “A Pair of Nuts,” a multimedia comedy show wrapping things up at 1 a.m.
- Segafredo L’Originale (1040 Lincoln Road)
There’s a vintage fashion show from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m., Michele Palmisano’s photo exhibit from 8 to 4 a.m., and DJ’s spinning all the while.
- Lincoln Road
At 7, actors from the Playground Theatre for Young Audiences perform. From 8 to 10 p.m., The Miami Contemporary Dance Company dancers jam in their pajamas and evening gowns – it’s a flash performance that could last anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes on Ocean Drive or Lincoln Road. From 8 p.m. to 4 a.m., students from Miami International University of Art and Design will construct the Vince Lombardi Super Bowl Trophy out of red bull cans. (After the piece is finished, it will travel through Art Basel Miami Beach and Super Bowl before returning for the Red Bull Art of Can Exhibition in March 2010).
- Halo Lounge Miami (1625 Michigan Ave.)
There’s a DJ from 1 to 3 a.m., and live painting.
- Score Bar (727 Lincoln Road)
It’s art and fashion, plus a DJ, from 9 p.m. to midnight.
- De Leo Trattoria (819 Lincoln Road)
Dance hits from the 70’s and 80’s play here from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Books & Books, Design Within Reach and the Cafe at Books & Books (933 Lincoln Road)
A few events here from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., all centered around poetry. There’s also live music in the breezeway.
- Lucky Strike (1691 Michigan Ave.)
Alisse Christinie presents her photographic diary of Miami from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Artcenter/South Florida (800 and 924 Lincoln Road)
From 6 to 10 p.m., you can visit the studios free of charge. At 8 in front of the building, catch a performance by Antonia Wright, a Cuban-American multimedia artist. From 7 to 10 p.m., meet artist Stephanie Rodriguez and see her take on well-known musicians in her paintings. Also, enjoy classical guitarist Maikel Rodriguez and rock band Frontline.
- Van Dyle Cafe (846 Lincoln Road)
The Ike and Valerie Woods Band plays here from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Euclid Oval Stage (Lincoln Road at Euclid Avenue)
The Beach High Rock Ensemble plays at 6 p.m., followed by Rock Ensemble alumni “Jetstream” at 6:45. At 8, Dr. Michael White plays some Jazz with his quartet. That’s followed by a performance by the South Florida Jazz Orchestra at 10, and stand-up comedy by the South Beach Comedy Festival from 12:30 to 2:30 a.m.
- Peter Lik Gallery (701 Lincoln Road)
Peter Lik shows his photos from 6 p.m. to midnight.
- Lincoln Theatre (541 Lincoln Road)
Tickets are required for Jeffrey Milarsky’s performance at 7:30. They can be picked up at the Sleepless Night Information Tent on Lincoln Road and Washington Avenue at 6 p.m.
- Miami Beach Community Church (Lincoln Road at Drexel)
At 10 p.m., sit and listen to this choir’s “I’ll Fly Away.”
- The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach (1 Lincoln Road)
Art tours at 6 and 7 p.m. to learn about the history of the multi-million dollar art collection at the Ritz.
- Loews Miami Beach Hotel (1601 Collins Ave.)
Live R&B and martini specials from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Plaza Espana Stage (Espanola Way and Drexel Ave.)
From 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., catch this film event that features the works of Jacques Demy and Agnes Varda.