This weekend’s free and cheap options include a neighborhood comeback party, movies, jazz and food discounts.
Night of Light
Move over, Wynwood, you’re not the only neighborhood making a comeback.
It’s time for Little River.
On June 25, in celebration of the summer solstice, Little River’s Night of Light will bring the neighborhood to life with more than 30 creative spaces opening doors to thousands of partygoers looking for food, art, and music. The neighborhood “culture crawl” is on for 12 hours and admission is free.
A number of free or cheap movie options are offered this weekend:
• Summer time in Miami means watching a movie while sitting in a refreshing pool. The outdoor “dive-in” (get it, not drive-in?) movie is shown every last Friday of the month at Grapeland Water Park. Admission is $5. This June 24, the movie will be “The Good Dinosaur.” Kids and parents can enjoy the Captain’s Lagoon, the big recreation pool and watch the movie while swimming or lounging in a float tube.
• While most free movie nights are kid-friendly, here is one for the adults. The City of Aventura’s Grown-Up Movie Night will feature “The Revenant” (Starring Leo DiCaprio and rated R) on June 25 at the Aventura Arts & Cultural Center. Admission is free and open to the first 330 guests.
• June is Miami Film Month and that means an array of movies being shown in local independent cinemas — including Bill Cosford, Coral Gables Art, O Cinema in Wynwood and Miami Beach, Miami Beach Cinematheque and Miami-Dade College’s Tower Theater — for just $8. It’s a great way to support the local independents who often bring a variety of films not usually seen in the chain theaters.
The last Friday of the month also brings a free outdoor jazz concert and free admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami. On June 24, Lanzallamas Monofónica will be playing. The Miami group is an ensemble charged with melodic fire and global rhythmical chemistry. Deep, powerful lyrics with a message of unity and love and a wide array of nationalities and musical languages form the group’s alchemy. The result is a true expression of multilingual world beat Caribbean fusion music.
Foodies, like myself, often rejoice in Miami’s diverse palatable offerings. Here are two options this weekend:
• Join the food truck invasion at Tropical Park on June 24 and partake in a variety of options all at once. Admission is free and the affordable food is for sale.
• Take advantage of Coral Gables Restaurant Week which ends June 26 for discounts to fine dining. Try a new place you haven’t been to and go for lunch to get the most for your money.
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter or the daily Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap newsletter. To submit an event or deal, click here. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events and the Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap weekend events and deals roundup.