Style maverick and fashion designer Rachel Roy is making a leap from style icon to author. Recently the mom and entrepreneur published her first book entitled “Design Your Life” based her career and how she designed her life through style.
The book serves as a fashion guide and biography offering Rachel’s real life experiences and fashion advice to help people develop personal style and manifest a life with intention.
She recently spoke with about her new book and here’s what she has to say:
1. How did it challenge you to go from a known place (designer) to pursuing a different professional project like writing your first book?
I’ve always loved to write and am an avid reader but when it comes time to sit down and write your own story, it does take organization and time. I had a great deal to say so I really focused on taking my story and what I’ve learned over my life and career and distilling it into a story that was full of information and guidance that has helped me.
2. Who is this book for?
This book is for anyone who is on a journey with their life – we are all a work in progress – and likes to seek out information that can help them. I want my reader to take away the confidence and conviction to live their true life – and that’s not determined by anyone but themselves.
3. What makes you a girl boss?
Staying true to my point of view and living my truest most authentic life both personally and professionally. There is no other way.
4. For people who are on a budget which accessory would you say takes a simple outfit to the next level?A handbag, a pair of shoes, or a statement piece of jewelry?
For me, it’s always been the shoes. Buy the best quality and beautifully designed pair you can afford. There is a story in my book on how I saved through college and made friends with a salesperson at a local department store to find out when the Manolo Blahnik’s were going 70% off. I still have those shoes 20 years later.
5. What do you put on when you feel like you have nothing to wear?
I think everyone has felt that way! A blazer has always been my go-to to feel pulled together and intelligent.
6. What’s a great outfit for women to wear when running errands but still want to look kept together?
A midi dress over tight leggings (I like leather). Add a biker jacket or blazer on top. Classic but with a twist and just as comfy as your yoga pants.
7. What future projects can your followers expect? Will you be publishing more books or even delve into other areas like interior design or kids clothes?
I would love to write more! Right now I am focused on my website launch next week. We have a section on the site called The Life that brings together everything I’m curious about for a really engaging storytelling experience for my customers.
Follow @cportjournalist on Instagram
For more info on Rachel Roy click here