The Miami International Auto Show returns to Miami Beach this weekend (Sept. 10-18), a few months earlier than in past years due to planned renovations at the Miami Beach Convention Center.
All that means is you get to try out your favorite cars or check out your dream vehicles sooner rather than later. The nine day event spans over a pair of weekends, features 43 auto brands, a contest to win a 2017 Chevrolet Cruze LS (pictured below), and since all but the test drives are held indoors, the show is a great way to beat the heat and avoid those pesky Zika critters. (Don’t forget the mosquito spray!)
Here are five things we can’t wait to check out at the Miami International Auto Show.
1. New Car Smell Laboratory: Sample eight different fragrances, designed to capture the personality and essence of different cars and drivers. Or create a personalized virtual scent via an iPad app, which can be uploaded and shared on social media. We can’t wait to smell Pick- Up Truck (57 percent Bonfire, 21 percent Axle Grease, 16 percent Flannel, 6 percent Beard) or the Family Wagon (44 percent Baby Wipes, 31 percent Stain Remover, 22 percent Crayon, and 3 percent Regret).
2. Collector’s Edition: Memory Lane showcases vintage cars each year and is the best spot to appreciate the craftsmanship behind the automobile. The featured car for this year’s Memory Lane is the 1959 Jaguar Mark IX Saloon. Popular as a ceremonial car for state dignitaries, the Mark IX was produced from 1959 to 1961. The model on display has less than 20,000 original miles and comes with such options as automatic transmission, rear picnic tables, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, rare sliding sunroof and heater.
3. Award Winning Convertibles: The Southern Automotive Media Association (SAMA) selected its favorite convertibles for 2016. Prize winners on display are expected to include the 2017 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG (Super Luxury/Exotic and Convertible of the Year), Mazda MX-5 Miata (Small Convertible), Chevrolet Camaro (Performance Full-Size), Mercedes-Benz SLC43 (Performance Roadster), Hyundai Genesis (Panoramic Luxury) and Chrysler Pacifica (Panoramic Affordable).
4. Take a Test Drive: This is where the fun starts as you get behind the wheel and take a car for a spin. Been eyeing that Chevy Silverado truck or the Toyota Prius hybrid or that Nissan Murano SUV? Now you can sign up and take each for a spin while at the show. Imagine test driving multiple brands without having to visit multiple car dealerships. Where do we sign up?
5. Virtual Car Paint: Create personal car designs using iPad programs at the Cars Meet Art display. Participants can select different vehicle types and then add custom paint, designs and patterns to create a unique virtual car. Designs can be shared on social media, and entered for a chance to win a trip to Cancun, Mexico.