Every year, second-year medical students at Florida International University’s Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine put on an art show and auction to raise money for women in Miami who can’t afford mammograms (and other important health services). This year it’s at Art & Sol Studios in Wynwood on Saturday. Here’s why you should go.
1. The show is in Wynwood. You were going there anyway this weekend, weren’t you? Why not stop by to check out the art, plus live music and spoken word performances?
2. Proceeds pay for mammograms, and you know how important those are. It’s also a good way to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month without having to wear pink.
3. Proceeds will also pay for other vital women’s health services, including follow-up biopsies, Pap smears and the HPV vaccine.
4. The artwork on display is by South Florida artists and FIU students. Support local, buy local.
5. Even if you don’t buy any artwork, you can still donate and feel good about yourself. And honestly, how often does that happen?