This weekend’s events bring musicians jamming live, art enthusiasts being inspired at museums, kids laughing with dolphins and parrots, foodies devouring barbecue, and uniformed military getting their respect. Yes, it’s Memorial Day weekend in Miami.
The last Friday of the month brings a free outdoor jazz concert at the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami. One of the most exciting new voices of jazz, trumpeter Jean Caze will be performing on May 27. Featured with Jean are Vaughn Henry on keys, Ivan Malespin on trombone, Josh Allen on bass, David Chiverton on drums, and Harvel Nakundi on percussion.
Haitian Caribbean Book Fair
Close out Haitian Heritage Month in North Miami on May 27 with free live entertainment by the popular musical group, Harmonik, performing the latest hits in Haitian Compas, a modern méringue musical genre in Haiti with European and African roots.
Browse through books at the free Haitian and Caribbean Book Fair in Little Haiti on May 28-29. Featured authors include Father William Smarth and Anthony George-Pierre, both of whom are knowledgeable on the history and struggle of the Haitian people.
Organizers of the Miami is an Island pop-up tropical dance party announced a free Memorial Day Weekend Party on May 29 with food trucks, crafts vendors and “the best Sunday vibes in Miami.” Musical selection includes vintage afrobeat, salsa, cumbia, samba, & soca/calypso to the freshest new global dance music.
Lion Country Safari
Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of the summer, and local attractions promote themselves by offering savings passes. There are several to check out:
• The Summer Savings Pass, which is a one-price deal for four attractions, which include Zoo Miami, Miami Seaquarium, Museum of Science and Discovery and Lion Country Safari.
• The South Florida Adventure Pass, which features 7 attractions for one price. With the pass, South Florida residents and tourists can get unlimited visits this summer to Everglades Alligator Farm, Flamingo Gardens, Jungle Island, Palm Beach Zoo, Pérez Art Museum Miami, Sawgrass Recreation Park and Young at Art Museum.
• Veterans, Military, Police, Fire and EMT personnel receive free admission from May 23-30 at Miami Seaquarium.
• Family members of veterans, police, fire, EMT and active military with ID can visit Jungle Island May 28-30 for half-price while military and first responders get in free.
• Museums participating in the Blue Star program offer free summer admission to military and their families.
Orchids and crafts
Here are two free events for those who like to garden with green thumbs or work with crafty hands:
It’s the 18th annual Orchids in the Park happening May 28-29 in South Miami. Check out the beautiful orchids, and, if you choose to buy, know that the proceeds benefit the Pediatric AIDS program at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
Get your inner-creative going with a lineup of innovative and hands-on workshops at the free Raddest Craft Fair May 28 in Wynwood.
Start the day on May 30 with a solemn and heartfelt salute to all the men and women in the armed forces, especially the fallen soldiers. From Coral Gables to Hialeah, several cities throughout Miami-Dade are honoring the fallen with morning ceremonies on Memorial Day. Some will have a trumpeter playing and others will include the Boys and Girls Scouts. On this list, we’ve also included some fun events you may want to attend after the ceremony, like a barbecue on the terrace of the Perez Art Museum Miami, a music party from 103.5 The Beat in Wynwood, or a Marlins professional baseball game.
Don’t miss out on these two exciting events happening this weekend just north of us:
• Free fun and music at Great American Beach Party in Fort Lauderdale May 28
• Online discount for Fort Lauderdale Home Design & Remodeling Show May 27-30
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter or the daily Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events and the Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap weekend events and deals roundup.