From art walks to a block party to live music to family entertainment to fishing, we’ve got your back when it comes to free and cheap things to do this weekend.
Daniel Fila, also known as Krave
The monthly free Little Havana Art Walk is June 10 and, as usual, it will showcase Cuba nostalgia and the lively colors of Cuban art. The walk is held along Calle Ocho (Southwest Eighth Street) between 12th and 17th avenues, and there are plenty of restaurants to dine at and live music to enjoy.
On June 11, SuViche restaurant in Wynwood will host a free live mural painting by local artist Daniel Fila, also known as Krave. Guests can watch Fila, a Miami native, bring together ocean-inspired imagery with elements of modern urban culture as he paints two murals on SuViche’s outdoor walls. The live mural painting coincides with the Wynwood Art Walk so art enthusiasts will have a lot to look at, including street performers, and foodies can grab a bite of SuViche’s tasty Peruvian and Japanese food or other area restaurants.
Hialeah will not be left behind in the arts scene. After all, its motto is the City of Progress. On June 11, it kicks off the Leah Summer Series with its free #HialeahNow block party that features music, murals, live art, and food. Join them in the revitalization of the industrial area that those of us natives remember as the place that once offered among the best seamstresses, craftsmen and manufacturers.
Check out these three live music events that are free or cheap:
• Channel the inner musician you’ve always wanted to be on June 10 during the free Friday Night Drum Jam in Kendall. Here’s your chance to pound out the beats carelessly.
• The free event, SaturDaze Drinking, in Wynwood on June 11 will feature the talented sounds of Brendan O’Hara and The Rescue, featuring an opening set by Aura the Band, and drink specials.
• Jazid nightclub in Miami Beach celebrates 20 years of live music on June 11 with two reggae bands, Jahfe and Inna Sense. $10, ages 21 and over.
Cheapskate foodies, like myself, will want to take advantage of the Coral Gables Restaurant Week deals that began Monday and continue through June 26. (Yes, it’s actually three weeks.) All the fine dining you wanted to try can be had at cheaper prices. The menus usually consist of three-course meals, but, hey, you only live once. There are more than 40 restaurants participating, and the restaurants that offer lunch deals usually offer the best prices of all. Check out the menus and prices online. La Dorada, hold a table for me!
It’s every parent’s annual nightmare: School’s out for summer! (I’m just kidding — my kids may read this.) This means parents will be searching high and low to entertain the urchins. Check out Miami On The Cheap’s 32 free or cheap things to do with kids this summer and here are a few free events:
• Family Fun Day on Aragon on June 11 offers a plethora of activities ranging from bounce houses to books to movies to crafts provided by the Coral Gables Museum, Books & Books and the Coral Gables Art Cinema.
• Family Fun Day at HistoryMiami on June 11 offers Picture This, a journey through the photos of Tim Chapman, who spent 40 years with The Miami Herald. A salute to you, Tim.
• Family Day in the Miami Design District on June 12 offers activities centered around health and fitness that includes yoga, food, singing, story time, origami and more.
• Washington Avenue in Miami Beach from 5th to 16th streets will be closed to automobiles on June 12 and open only for bicyclists, pedestrians and strollers, and will have other activities. Check out the free Ciclovia.
• This weekend, it’s Florida Free Fishing Days, which means you can fish without a license.
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter or the daily Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap newsletter. To submit an event or deal, click here. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events and the Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap weekend events and deals roundup.