Caribbean heritage and culture seems to be the common thread for this weekend’s free and cheap events in Miami. Here are the highlights:
Photo: Matias J. Ocner
Welcome to Miami where Cuba’s roaring 1950s era is an often recurring theme. (We love it, frankly.)
To celebrate a beer from the past making a comeback, there’s a free Cuban beer launch party in Wynwood. Concrete Beach Brewery will brew Cuba’s first and most-iconic beer, Cerveza La Tropical, La Original, and release it on May 22.
For the history buffs, the beer was founded in 1888, gained its heyday of popularity in 1958, and then was overtaken by the Cuban government in 1960. Eventually, it closed in 2008 due to lack of funds. (And, most likely, management, but I digress.) Alan Newman, Manny Portuondo and Ramon Blanco Herrera have joined forces to bring back La Tropical beer in Miami.
Speaking of 1950s Cuba, a free auto show exhibiting Cuban style cars from the era will be shown also on May 22. Check out the cars, take a selfie so your friends will think you’re in Cuba, and then head over to the beer party.
Sounds of Little Haiti brings back the popular Big Night in Little Haiti monthly event. On May 20, fans will enjoy live music by Tabou Combo, coupled with neighborhood art studios, restaurants, retail shops and venues that are all open to the public.
Miami’s diversity also shows in its music. Here are 3 more free and cheap music venues for this weekend:
• Free live jazz in Mary Brickell Village on May 20
• Free live eclectic music at Churchill’s Pub on May 22
• $5 single release party with Jim Camacho and Rob Elba at Gramp’s on May 20
Adrienne Arsht Center
Tours at All Times
Whether you want to sightsee on a bicycle or view art in a museum, there are a few free tours offered this weekend:
• Historical bicycle tour in Coconut Grove on May 21
• Free admission to Coral Gables Museum for police officers and their families through May 21
• Free tour of the Freedom Tower and Museum of Art & Design on May 21
• Free tour of the Adrienne Arsht Center on May 21
Greater Fort Lauderdale has its share of jammin’ music this weekend. Consider:
• Cachet Band at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach
• Ocoee River Band at the open-air bandshell in Hollywood Beach
• Unplugged music in Dania Beach
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter or the daily Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events and the Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap weekend events and deals roundup.