The Mustard Seed
New American is a big hit in Cooper City.
Timberlake Plaza: 8616 Griffin Rd, Cooper City
Hours: 9am-3pm Monday-Saturday, 5-10pm Wednesday-Saturday
Prices: starters $4.50-$14, entrees $22-$36, desserts $2.75-$7
FYI: Reservations recommended. Beer and wine; corkage $15. AX, DS, MC, VS.
Chef Timothy Boyd and his wife, Lara, have a knack for opening restaurants in unexpected places. Fans have followed them from the Upper Crust in Plantation to Milk & Honey in Pembroke Pines and now to The Mustard Seed Bistro in a small Cooper City shopping center. The third time seems like the charm for the Boyds, who have teamed up here with veteran chef Ernesto Rado, a Peruvian native. Business is so good that we were turned away one Saturday night because we hadn't made a reservation. Boyd's creative menu changes weekly and there are nightly specials. The wine list, primarily boutique selections, is impressive for a small restaurant, but expect to pay $10 and up for wines by the glass and $28 or more by the bottle.
Ambiance: The Cooper City restaurant reflects Lara Boyd's whimsical touch, with a fun mural of circus animals on the back wall. Broad stripes of lemon yellow and sandy hues offset the dark furniture, and tables are topped with linen and candlelight.
- Vanilla custard French toast
- Creole crab burger
- A scallop starter of three plump, juicy scallops pan-seared and finished in the oven on a Himalayan salt brick
- Chunks of a warm crab cake served over cool, crisp greens with small bites of cucumber, tomato, green apple and Gorgonzola
- A delicious, ultra-filling wild mushroom risotto appetizer rich with Gouda, goat cheese and Parmesan
- Succulent pan-seared snapper revved up with a fragrant Pernod butter sauce
- Moist breaded cod roasted golden brown and topped with a perky pineapple salsa
- Divine, ultra-tender and moist lavender-lacquered served with a whisper of lavender in a sauce reduction
- Terrific grilled rack of lamb with a hint of rosemary and mint
- Sides of homey mashed potatoes, perfectly cooked haricot vert and asparagus and glistening barley pearls elevated by a splash of truffle oil
- Warm, cinnamony apple cobbler with crunchy walnuts
- Soufflé-like flourless chocolate cake
What Didn’t Work
- Appetizer of unchewably tough grilled and stuffed calamari
- Just ok rustic chicken-penne with an overwhelming smoky flavor
- Thasos debuts Thursday & Friday happy hours in Fort Lauderdale
- POC launches weekend brunch in Hallandale's Village at Gulfstream Park
- Bokampers opens 18,000-square-foot sports bar in Fort Lauderdale
- Fascino's brings new Italian flavors to Downtown Hollywood
- Trufflemania hits South Florida
- Chima celebrates Veteran's Day with free rodizio for veterans
- POC brings high-end modern American cooking and sushi to Village at Gulfstream Park
- POC Modern American Cuisine opens in Village at Gulfstream Park
- Toast Steak 954's War of the Wines Oct 17
- French Spice Miami returns Oct 24 - Nov 15