The Gossip Guy
Hottie in town for beach party
Penn Badgley had only one day in Miami before heading to a movie premiere in NYC. So naturally the Gossip Girl cutie made sure to take full advantage of our beautiful beaches. “I’ve been up in the mountains snowboarding so I had a goggle tan that I had to get rid of.”
We chatted with Badgley at the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY Lounge inside the Open Players Party, where he talked about his new movie and his love-hate relationship with a sport he’s grown to admire.
You’re a huge soccer fan. What about tennis?
My dad was an avid tennis player. That’s how I got my name; I was named after Penn tennis balls. I grew up hating tennis because of my dad, but now I love it.
Who do you hope wins the Sony Ericcson tournament?
Honestly, I haven’t been following [tennis] recently. Back in 2009, I had the chance to watch [Roger] Federer and [Rafael] Nadal play in the finals of U.S. Open, and it was one of the most exciting live sports events I’ve seen. I was shocked at how intense it was. That intensity doesn’t necessarily translate onto television.
Tell us about your new movie “Margin Call.”
It was just at Sundance and probably going to come out in the fall. It’s a fictitious thriller, but an accurate account, about the financial collapse. How people figured out it was going to happen and liquidated their funds. The best part is I got to work with actors like Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Stanley Tucci, Demi Moore and Paul Bettany. The ones who haven’t won Oscars have been nominated or won Emmys or Tonys [awards]. I was the only person without any serious accolades, and it was an incredible experience and very educational for me.
What about “Gossip Girl”?
The show continues to be what it is: amazing! It’s been one of the most definitive experiences of my life.
On Our Radar
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.
- Recap: Miami.com Experience - Pop-Up Dinner at Bocce with Sugarcane
- Tiger Woods' ex holds dinner in Palm Beach
- Jamaican pop star OMI at club opening
- Miami's (wannabe) adopted son David Beckham is 'Sexiest Man'
- Influence Miami at Bakehouse Art Complex