Team Kanye and Jay Z
Top earners in rapping world
On Monday, Jay-Z and Kanye West dropped their long-awaited collaboration, Watch the Throne. Good timing - and title. The Empire State of Mind rapper is hip-hop’s top earner with $37 million in the past 12 months, claiming his fourth Cash Kings crown in five years; Kanye ranked third, raking in $16 million. See the millionaires in the flesh Sunday night at LIV. They'll be there with a few DJs to show off a few tracks from the album. The two men are in good company, money wise. The other top earners on Forbes' list:
Sean “Diddy” Combs, $35 million: Music now accounts for less than 20% of earnings for the artist formerly known as Puff Daddy, thanks to big stakes in clothing lines Sean John and Enyce, record label Bad Boy and marketing firm Blue Flame. But it's his Ciroc vodka deal that led Forbes to estimate his net worth at $475 million this winter
Dwayne “Lil Wayne” Carter, $15 million: The lyricist reportedly wrote his first song at age 8 and signed a record deal with Cash Money a year later. Today he's one of rap's richest, despite serving eight months in jail last year. His latest release, I Am Not A Human Being, made him the first artist since Tupac Shakur to have a No. 1 album while incarcerated.
Bryan “Birdman” Williams, also $15 million: The Cash Money chief continues to rake in cash from the label he cofounded, home to fellow Cash Kings Lil Wayne, Drake and Nicki Minaj.
For more go to www.forbes.com/forbesfive
On Our Radar
- One Direction loves Florida, records concert special
- Celebrity spotting in Miami
- What did most Miamians search for in 2014?
- See Fort Lauderdale native Jason Kennedy tie the knot
- Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood showcases his photography
- Ne-Yo plays Santa Claus in Kendall
- Rosario Dawson in Miami to talk new movie
- Diner en Blanc lands on Miami Beach
- Annie stars in Miami
- Shakira's mansion reportedly back on the market