Festivals for Orchid Lovers
Orchid lovers come together at South Florida's many festivals, the first kicking off this weekend.
For those intrigued by orchids, South Florida is a great place to be. Vendors are plentiful, as are orchid societies, clubs and events. The season is beginning for the shows and festivals that offer South Floridians a global vantage point for admiring the exotic plants.
Fairchild's International Orchid Festival will feature over 10,000 orchid plants and more than 50 orchid growers and vendors from around the world, who will exhibit and sell these magnificent plants. The Orchid Society of Coral Gables will grace the Garden House with an American Orchid Society (AOS) juried show displaying an array of amazing orchids for visitors to marvel at throughout the weekend as well as provide advice and tips on growing orchids at the Get Growing booth on the Garden House lawn. Also, the International Orchid Festival will include educational orchid lectures, guided walking tours through the rain forest, live music, the Orchid Tea Room and great food.
Fairchild’s Ninth Annual International Orchid Festival: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 9-11 at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables; 305-667-1651, www.fairchildgarden.org; free for members and children 5 and younger; non-members pay $12 to $25, with an eco-discount for those who walk, ride bicycles or use public transportation.
Coming up in May: Redland International Orchid Festival: 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. May 18-20 at Fruit & Spice Park, 24801 SW 187th Ave., Homestead; 305-247-5727; redlandorchidfestival.org; $10.
See and Do
- Arsht Center’s big summer show, ‘Lookingglass Alice,’ has as many layers as the surreal, classic tale
- Miami’s XXX International Hispanic Theatre Fest celebrates Brazilian theater
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 3-5
- Miami Events - July 2015
- July 4, Kids Eat Free: Munchkin Fun's top picks June 29 - July 5
- Seven options for a date night in Miami with no time to waste
- 10 Things to Do on July 4
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - June 27-29
- Florida Supercon celebrates 10 years of geeking out
- Fourth of July guide: Where to watch fireworks in South Florida on July 4