Festivals for Orchid Lovers
Orchid lovers come together at South Florida's many festivals, the first kicking off this weekend.
For those intrigued by orchids, South Florida is a great place to be. Vendors are plentiful, as are orchid societies, clubs and events. The season is beginning for the shows and festivals that offer South Floridians a global vantage point for admiring the exotic plants.
Fairchild's International Orchid Festival will feature over 10,000 orchid plants and more than 50 orchid growers and vendors from around the world, who will exhibit and sell these magnificent plants. The Orchid Society of Coral Gables will grace the Garden House with an American Orchid Society (AOS) juried show displaying an array of amazing orchids for visitors to marvel at throughout the weekend as well as provide advice and tips on growing orchids at the Get Growing booth on the Garden House lawn. Also, the International Orchid Festival will include educational orchid lectures, guided walking tours through the rain forest, live music, the Orchid Tea Room and great food.
Fairchild’s Ninth Annual International Orchid Festival: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 9-11 at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables; 305-667-1651, www.fairchildgarden.org; free for members and children 5 and younger; non-members pay $12 to $25, with an eco-discount for those who walk, ride bicycles or use public transportation.
Coming up in May: Redland International Orchid Festival: 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. May 18-20 at Fruit & Spice Park, 24801 SW 187th Ave., Homestead; 305-247-5727; redlandorchidfestival.org; $10.
See and Do
- 'Book of Mormon,' 'Newsies' headline Arsht Center's next season
- Puppet shows, storytimes, spring break & 10 other fun things to do this week
- Gipsy Kings celebrate 25 years of 'Bamboleo' at the Hard Rock on May 15
- King Arthur and his knights get goofy in ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Mar. 7-9
- Calle Ocho: 5 Things we are excited about this year
- Daddy Yankee reigns as the King of Calle Ocho
- World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship brings golf and more to Doral
- Fair freebies, 110 years of Dr Seuss, Lego builds & 10 other fun things to do this week