Festivals for Orchid Lovers
Orchid lovers come together at South Florida's many festivals, the first kicking off this weekend.
For those intrigued by orchids, South Florida is a great place to be. Vendors are plentiful, as are orchid societies, clubs and events. The season is beginning for the shows and festivals that offer South Floridians a global vantage point for admiring the exotic plants.
Fairchild's International Orchid Festival will feature over 10,000 orchid plants and more than 50 orchid growers and vendors from around the world, who will exhibit and sell these magnificent plants. The Orchid Society of Coral Gables will grace the Garden House with an American Orchid Society (AOS) juried show displaying an array of amazing orchids for visitors to marvel at throughout the weekend as well as provide advice and tips on growing orchids at the Get Growing booth on the Garden House lawn. Also, the International Orchid Festival will include educational orchid lectures, guided walking tours through the rain forest, live music, the Orchid Tea Room and great food.
Fairchild’s Ninth Annual International Orchid Festival: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 9-11 at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables; 305-667-1651, www.fairchildgarden.org; free for members and children 5 and younger; non-members pay $12 to $25, with an eco-discount for those who walk, ride bicycles or use public transportation.
Coming up in May: Redland International Orchid Festival: 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. May 18-20 at Fruit & Spice Park, 24801 SW 187th Ave., Homestead; 305-247-5727; redlandorchidfestival.org; $10.
See and Do
- Holiday parades, princess parties & a local gift guide: Munchkin Fun's top weekly picks
- Holiday events in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Dec. 12-14
- Outré Theatre makes its move to Fort Lauderdale with ‘Othello’
- Cirque du Soleil brings its fem-centric show, 'Amaluna,' to Sun Life Stadium
- Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade floats into Broward this Saturday
- Holiday dance, theater and music favorites to make the season merry
- ‘Book of Mormon’ walks its fine line, this time at the Arsht Center
- Princess parties, superheroes & gingerbread houses: Munchkin Fun's Top picks for Dec 8-12
- #HowToMiami - Street Art