Talking to local television star Julie Gonzalo
Stars on Dallas
Though Julie Gonzalo has lived in Los Angeles for the past 11 years, the Dallas star still thinks of Miami as home.
"It's very dear to me," says the actress who was born in Buenos Aires and moved to Miami Beach with her family when she was 9. "I try to come back a couple of times a year to go to my usual hangouts: South Beach, Lincoln Road, Espanola Way. There's always something new happening."
The West and East Coast hubs are somewhat similar.
"You've got the great weather. But L.A. is definitely less humid!" she says laughing. "Both have the ocean, and that vibe."
Growing up in Miami Beach -- Gonzalo attended Ruth K. Broad Bay Harbor for elementary, then Highland Oaks Middle School and North Miami Junior High -- felt natural coming from Argentina.
"Being from a foreign country and learning a new language can be hard," says the former model who got her big TV break on "Veronica Mars." "But it was nice to have such a Spanish sense of community. Everything was familiar."
As for the Dallas two-hour finale Monday night, viewers are in for some shockers.
"There are honestly a lot of surprises," allows Gonzalo who plays Pamela Rebecca Barnes. "My character has gone through a lot of changes." (Murder and miscarriage, to name two.) "The writers are so smart I think people will be pleasantly surprised."
While it is still unclear if the TNT show will see a season 3, one thing is certain: Larry Hagman is missed.
"It's still hard to speak of him," she says of the unforgettable actor who played J.R. Ewing in the original Dallas and its modern reboot. "I was such a big fan of his and then to get to work with him! He was such a genius, he could do it all. Larry just had that beautiful light."
On Our Radar
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach
- Models spotted at Swim Week
- Cool and crafty event at Aventura Mall
- Roselyn Sánchez dishes on ‘Devious Maids,’ singing and new Spanish comedy
- Local bachelor appears in the nude on reality show