Talking to local television star Julie Gonzalo
Stars on Dallas
Though Julie Gonzalo has lived in Los Angeles for the past 11 years, the Dallas star still thinks of Miami as home.
"It's very dear to me," says the actress who was born in Buenos Aires and moved to Miami Beach with her family when she was 9. "I try to come back a couple of times a year to go to my usual hangouts: South Beach, Lincoln Road, Espanola Way. There's always something new happening."
The West and East Coast hubs are somewhat similar.
"You've got the great weather. But L.A. is definitely less humid!" she says laughing. "Both have the ocean, and that vibe."
Growing up in Miami Beach -- Gonzalo attended Ruth K. Broad Bay Harbor for elementary, then Highland Oaks Middle School and North Miami Junior High -- felt natural coming from Argentina.
"Being from a foreign country and learning a new language can be hard," says the former model who got her big TV break on "Veronica Mars." "But it was nice to have such a Spanish sense of community. Everything was familiar."
As for the Dallas two-hour finale Monday night, viewers are in for some shockers.
"There are honestly a lot of surprises," allows Gonzalo who plays Pamela Rebecca Barnes. "My character has gone through a lot of changes." (Murder and miscarriage, to name two.) "The writers are so smart I think people will be pleasantly surprised."
While it is still unclear if the TNT show will see a season 3, one thing is certain: Larry Hagman is missed.
"It's still hard to speak of him," she says of the unforgettable actor who played J.R. Ewing in the original Dallas and its modern reboot. "I was such a big fan of his and then to get to work with him! He was such a genius, he could do it all. Larry just had that beautiful light."
On Our Radar
- Sarah Jessica Parker popping in to Bloomingdale's Aventura
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision