Sweet Point Bakery
Meet Midtown's much-needed bakery-bistro hybrid
Sweet Point Bakery
3252 NE 1st Ave
The goods: Miami gets a much-needed bakery-bistro hybrid with Sweet Point Bakery at Midtown. The cavernous space has free Wi-Fi and a morning-to-night menu of breakfast staples, fresh-baked pastries and hearty entrees. Owner Liliana Alderete is a Mexico native and worked at Balans before striking out on her own.
Ambience: Stainless steel fixtures and dark wood tables give the neo-industrial space a comfortable, urbane vibe.
The grub: Globetrotting comfort food. A glass case is stocked with fresh pastries throughout the day, and plenty of savory offerings are available for lunch and dinner. Prices are moderate: Most cakes sell for $5, breakfast can be had for less than $9 and salads and main range from $11 to $19. Bonus: after 9 p.m., all baked goods are half-off.
Breakfast offerings include three-egg omelets with fixings like feta and glazed ham. There’s a tofu scrambler for vegans and old-fashioned oatmeal topped with salty almonds and bananas. Lunchtime brings turkey bacon sandwiches and tuna with salsa verde on a ciabatta. Salads include grilled octopus with preserved lemon and Thai noodles tossed with steak, mango, cilantro and peanuts. For dinner there’s a half-pound Angus burger topped with bacon, ham and fried egg; oven-roasted chicken with rosemary sauce, and shrimp and scallop linguine.
Desserts (house-made, of course) include fruits tarts, white chocolate mousse cake and red velvet cupcakes.
Verdict: Big tables, free Wi-Fi and a constantly replenished dessert case make this a comfy coffee house/bistro hybrid in Midtown.
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- Quality Meats gets things sizzling in South Beach
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega