Sweet Point Bakery
Meet Midtown's much-needed bakery-bistro hybrid
Sweet Point Bakery
3252 NE 1st Ave
The goods: Miami gets a much-needed bakery-bistro hybrid with Sweet Point Bakery at Midtown. The cavernous space has free Wi-Fi and a morning-to-night menu of breakfast staples, fresh-baked pastries and hearty entrees. Owner Liliana Alderete is a Mexico native and worked at Balans before striking out on her own.
Ambience: Stainless steel fixtures and dark wood tables give the neo-industrial space a comfortable, urbane vibe.
The grub: Globetrotting comfort food. A glass case is stocked with fresh pastries throughout the day, and plenty of savory offerings are available for lunch and dinner. Prices are moderate: Most cakes sell for $5, breakfast can be had for less than $9 and salads and main range from $11 to $19. Bonus: after 9 p.m., all baked goods are half-off.
Breakfast offerings include three-egg omelets with fixings like feta and glazed ham. There’s a tofu scrambler for vegans and old-fashioned oatmeal topped with salty almonds and bananas. Lunchtime brings turkey bacon sandwiches and tuna with salsa verde on a ciabatta. Salads include grilled octopus with preserved lemon and Thai noodles tossed with steak, mango, cilantro and peanuts. For dinner there’s a half-pound Angus burger topped with bacon, ham and fried egg; oven-roasted chicken with rosemary sauce, and shrimp and scallop linguine.
Desserts (house-made, of course) include fruits tarts, white chocolate mousse cake and red velvet cupcakes.
Verdict: Big tables, free Wi-Fi and a constantly replenished dessert case make this a comfy coffee house/bistro hybrid in Midtown.
- Say 'Opa!' to new Cleo restaurant in the Redbury Hotel in Miami Beach
- Brasserie Central opens its French doors at Merrick Park in Coral Gables
- Stripsteak at the Fontainebleau is the latest in Michael Mina's South Florida mini-empire
- Tamarina puts coastal Italian flavors in downtown Miami
- Ceviche 105 off to a fresh start in South Beach
- Modern Italian bistro Moye opens in Brickell
- Babylon opens gateway to Turkish cuisine in South Beach
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Seven Dials gives classic British pub fare a Miami makeover
- Morimoto rolls up to South Beach in style