Sweatstock Block Party showcases local, independent music in Miami
Fourth annual event on Saturday at Sweat Records and Churchill's is free
Major music festivals like Ultra and Coachella have become immensely popular but also increasingly more corporatized; gone are the days of discovering emerging independent acts at large festivals at affordable prices. For those looking for a different kind of music festival, there's Sweat Records’ 4th Annual Sweatstock Block Party on April 20th, in celebration of the store's eighth anniversary and Record Store Day 2013.
The block party will be set over three stages featuring more than 40 independent acts from Miami and all over the world. Head to the Sweat Street Stage in front of Sweat Records and listen to local favorites like indie outfit Awesome New Republic playing with a seven-piece band and breakcore pioneer Otto Van Schirach. Over at neighboring Churchill’s, you can find artists like sludge metal locals Holly Hunt playing on the Speedfreek Stage and Paris noise masters Penthotal, Popol Gluant and Sobak Mazouzouete tearing up the Roofless Stage.
For those looking for more than just music, you can enjoy Crossfit 305 mini-competitions and giveaways and freebies from Sweatstock sponsors. In addition, enjoy free Panther Coffee and specials on El Jimador tequila and Beck's beer as you enjoy bites from food trucks Gastropod, Ms. Cheezious, Roc Kat Ice Cream Co. and Veggie X-Press.
Best of all, the event is free and music fans of all ages are welcome to the Sweat Street Stage and Sweat Records. The event starts at 9 a.m., when Sweat Records will showcase exclusive vinyl releases and invite locals to support local independent record stores. The Sweat Street Stage will feature live acts from noon to 11 p.m.; at Churchill’s, live acts on the Speedfreek Stage will play from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. and the Roofless Records stage from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Sweatstock Block Party
5505 NE 2nd Ave.
Saturday, April 20
9 a.m. - 2 a.m.
All ages Welcome at Sweat Street Stage and Sweat Records.
18+ for Speedfreek and Roofless Stages at Churchill’s
Music in Miami
- 11 South Florida musical acts you should know
- Top 10 pop music concerts in South Florida
- Nu Deco Ensemble, Miami's 21st Century Orchestra, announces second season and it is massive
- Miami Latin funk band Suenalo to play free concert at Ball & Chain
- Miami Soul weekend guide: DanceAfrica Miami Reception, Juneteenth Miami Music Festival, Colors of the Caribbean
- Best of the Best returns for the tenth year with dancehall and reggae stars
- 2016 Summer Music Concert Guide for South Florida
- 7 reasons to see Andy Grammer at the Fontainebleau this Saturday
- Up-and-coming country star Kelsea Ballerini ready to take Tortuga Music Festival by storm this week
- Concert Review: Pearl Jam Packs a Punch at American Airlines Arena