Susanne Bartsch: the ultimate party gal
She brings her hosting talents to the Delano Hotel for New Year's Eve
Susanne Bartsch's Bloody Mary New Year's Eve with appearances by Patricia Field and Joey Arias
9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 31
Delano, 1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach; 305-674-6430.
You could call Susanne Bartsch a club icon.
She's been on the scene since the '80s, long before South Beach became a mecca for hip-hop artists, rock stars, models and LeBron.
``It's like a child to me, and I knew it as a baby,'' she said.
The New York City promoter, known for her lavish parties at Big Apple staples like Copacabana, Bentley's and the Hudson Hotel, is hosting a star-studded New Year's Eve bash at the Delano.
The swanky spot is home to one of her favorite New Year's Eve memories.
Back in 2000, Bartsch was headlining a bash with former Miami club owner Chris Paciello but ``just before the party, he was arrested. I didn't really know anything about him so you can imagine it was a very upsetting and scary time,'' she recalled. ``All these people had bought tickets, and there was no place to go.''
Luckily, ``the Delano bailed me out, and we ended up with a sold-out event. People were outside throwing money at me, trying to get in.''
Bartsch, a full-time mom (her son Bailey, with David Barton, is 16) is in her 50s now, but don't expect her to retire anytime soon. ``I'm still waiting, but I never get tired of dancing!'' Or dressing up. From her wig that's cutely named ``Babe'' to her elaborate costumes, she enjoys the hair and makeup routine as much -- if not more than -- the soiree itself. ``It's art.''
Smiling faces at the door count, too.
``To give people a few hours to let their hair down and not worry about anything is magical.''
On Our Radar
- Diana Ross headlining annual gala
- Duran Duran movie coming to Miami Beach Cinematheque
- Tryouts for Estefan musical at Arsht
- Erasure kicks off its world tour at The Fillmore
- Bon Jovi rocker Tico Torres a SoBe fixture
- Antonio Banderas has a ball in Miami, celebrates birthday
- Artist Shepard Fairey talks Hennessy bottle design in Wynwood
- New Miami Heat players spotted around town
- Robin Williams mourned at South Beach hotel
- Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders reveal 2015 swimsuit calendar at LIV nightclub