Support pours in for Miami DJ Mark Leventhal while he suffers from unknown illness
Nightlife community donates money to help pay for medical costs and plans a benefit party for DJ Mark Levanthal
For more than two decades, Miami resident Mark Leventhal has been on the decks at some of the best venues and parties in South Beach. Today, Leventhal is in a coma at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
His younger sister, Amy Leventhal, says that he went to urgent care last Wednesday because long-term pain in his back had become unbearable. They sent him to the hospital, where doctors found an infection in his body and brain and put him directly into intensive care (ICU).
Leventhal does not have health insurance so his sister started a fundraising page to help pay for his care.
"I launched the page yesterday (Saturday) afternoon after seeing the outpouring of love and concern for him on his Facebook page. I was given this idea from one of those friends," she says. "It will fill a real need for him because he has fallen without a safety net and he has kids to take care of."
In less than one day, supporters donated $8,500 to the YouCaring.org page. The total now stands at $15,000.
"Our whole family is so touched by the outpouring for Mark. It will be so useful and also has been one way to come together and experience how many lives he has touched. South Beach has heart," says Leventhal.
More than a dozen local DJs are expected to spin in his honor on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at a benefit event at HaVen Gastro Lounge, 1237 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach;
- Go Drink This: Scotch and the Coconut
- Go Drink This: Ginger Berry Smash
- Could this be the Best Happy Hour in Miami: EDGE Steak & Bar at the Four Seasons Miami
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- Go Drink This: Espumita Cocktail
- Go Drink This: Ortanique Bacardi Mojito
- Could this be the Best Happy Hour in Miami: Tongue & Cheek in Miami Beach
- Go Drink This: Bombay Sapphire Negroni
- Bodega, Brandt's Break, Baboons and Audrina Patridge bring on the scene
- Could this be the Best Happy Hour in Miami: Tamarina in Brickell