Support pours in for Miami DJ Mark Leventhal while he suffers from unknown illness
Nightlife community donates money to help pay for medical costs and plans a benefit party for DJ Mark Levanthal
For more than two decades, Miami resident Mark Leventhal has been on the decks at some of the best venues and parties in South Beach. Today, Leventhal is in a coma at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
His younger sister, Amy Leventhal, says that he went to urgent care last Wednesday because long-term pain in his back had become unbearable. They sent him to the hospital, where doctors found an infection in his body and brain and put him directly into intensive care (ICU).
Leventhal does not have health insurance so his sister started a fundraising page to help pay for his care.
"I launched the page yesterday (Saturday) afternoon after seeing the outpouring of love and concern for him on his Facebook page. I was given this idea from one of those friends," she says. "It will fill a real need for him because he has fallen without a safety net and he has kids to take care of."
In less than one day, supporters donated $8,500 to the YouCaring.org page. The total now stands at $15,000.
"Our whole family is so touched by the outpouring for Mark. It will be so useful and also has been one way to come together and experience how many lives he has touched. South Beach has heart," says Leventhal.
More than a dozen local DJs are expected to spin in his honor on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at a benefit event at HaVen Gastro Lounge, 1237 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach;
- 12 events in Miami this weekend (that have nothing to do with Halloween) - Oct. 28-30
- 11 events you can't miss in Miami this weekend - Oct. 14-16
- 11 events in Miami this weekend - Oct. 7-9
- 11 events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 30-Oct. 2
- Events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 23-25
- Spend New Year's 2017 With Justin Bieber!
- 10 events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 16-18
- 11 events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 9-11
- 11 things to do in Miami this weekend - Sept. 2-4
- 11 events in Miami to put on your weekend agenda - Aug. 26-28