Sunset Rendez Vous, drive in at The Freehand and SUSHISAMBA happy hour(s)
Plenty of events happening in South Florida, from sushi happy hours to galas and exclusive Fashion Week Swim soirees.
Sunset Rendez Vous
You've seen one swimsuit show, you've seen 'em all and don't say otherwise. But when it comes to Swim Week parties, not all are created as transparently. One, however, stands apart from the rest thanks to its jet setter reputation and penchant for putting together a pretty impressive crowd. Sunset Rendez Vous, from 9 p.m. to midnight Saturday, July 20 at the W South Beach will also have its fair share of swim shows, but it also has a pretty strict guest list that has been there, done that and won't let you in unless you are deemed worthy enough. To see if you qualify, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s fun to play pretend sometimes, especially when you’ve got a surf board and waves as rough as your baby’s bathwater. To see how it’s really done, head to the Freehand, 2727 Indian Creek Dr., at 8 p.m. July 21 for a splashy screening of Bruce Brown’s seminal 1966 surfer flick The Endless Summer. Part of the hipster hostel’s Indian Creek Drive-In series, the screening will also feature menu specials inspired by the movie that go beyond sand and salt water--we hope. To RSVP go to freehandmiami.com/events.
A Little Havana
You may hear about the Havana of haute times, but it's not often you get to experience it as much as some may try to revisit the past. At 8 p.m. on Friday, July 19 at Miami Beach's Terra Veritatis, 4949 Pinetree Dr., you'll take the flux capacitor back to Havana, circa 1957 for a gala benefiting The Paradise Fund, a non-profit educating the public about political, environmental, health, educational and social complications plaguing children around the world. The Paradise Social Club gala will feature performances by Cuban artists Norberto Y Marisela as well as Bacardi booze and hand rolled cigars from Wynwood Cigar Factory. Tickets are $150 per person and available at the door. For more information, go to www.theparadisefund.com/events.
Samba Pa' Ti
New at SUSHISAMBA Coral Gables, 180 Aragon Ave., is SAMBAHOUR (their caps, not ours, though some may say it's worthy of shouting), from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. until closing Monday through Friday. The bar-only happy hours offer food and drink at $7 each. Beer drinkers get the real bargain, though, at $5 a pop.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale