Sunset Rendez Vous, drive in at The Freehand and SUSHISAMBA happy hour(s)
Plenty of events happening in South Florida, from sushi happy hours to galas and exclusive Fashion Week Swim soirees.
Sunset Rendez Vous
You've seen one swimsuit show, you've seen 'em all and don't say otherwise. But when it comes to Swim Week parties, not all are created as transparently. One, however, stands apart from the rest thanks to its jet setter reputation and penchant for putting together a pretty impressive crowd. Sunset Rendez Vous, from 9 p.m. to midnight Saturday, July 20 at the W South Beach will also have its fair share of swim shows, but it also has a pretty strict guest list that has been there, done that and won't let you in unless you are deemed worthy enough. To see if you qualify, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s fun to play pretend sometimes, especially when you’ve got a surf board and waves as rough as your baby’s bathwater. To see how it’s really done, head to the Freehand, 2727 Indian Creek Dr., at 8 p.m. July 21 for a splashy screening of Bruce Brown’s seminal 1966 surfer flick The Endless Summer. Part of the hipster hostel’s Indian Creek Drive-In series, the screening will also feature menu specials inspired by the movie that go beyond sand and salt water--we hope. To RSVP go to freehandmiami.com/events.
A Little Havana
You may hear about the Havana of haute times, but it's not often you get to experience it as much as some may try to revisit the past. At 8 p.m. on Friday, July 19 at Miami Beach's Terra Veritatis, 4949 Pinetree Dr., you'll take the flux capacitor back to Havana, circa 1957 for a gala benefiting The Paradise Fund, a non-profit educating the public about political, environmental, health, educational and social complications plaguing children around the world. The Paradise Social Club gala will feature performances by Cuban artists Norberto Y Marisela as well as Bacardi booze and hand rolled cigars from Wynwood Cigar Factory. Tickets are $150 per person and available at the door. For more information, go to www.theparadisefund.com/events.
Samba Pa' Ti
New at SUSHISAMBA Coral Gables, 180 Aragon Ave., is SAMBAHOUR (their caps, not ours, though some may say it's worthy of shouting), from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. until closing Monday through Friday. The bar-only happy hours offer food and drink at $7 each. Beer drinkers get the real bargain, though, at $5 a pop.
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano
- Velvet Underground: the Regent Cocktail Club channels Spain on Mondays, Wonderland serves food with a twist, and plenty of party spots for Super Bowl Sunday
- Velvet Underground: Drink around the world in the Design District, go on a Mystery Date for MOCA, and let a lo-fi folk singer serenade you at the Freehand
- Velvet Underground: Two-time Grammy nominated Locos Por Juana play in North Beach, the Taj Mahal in Sunny Isles, and a block party on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables
- Velvet Underground: Speed bartending competition at Avenue D and a medical marijuana benefit concert at Tobacco Road