Sunset Rendez Vous, drive in at The Freehand and SUSHISAMBA happy hour(s)
Plenty of events happening in South Florida, from sushi happy hours to galas and exclusive Fashion Week Swim soirees.
Sunset Rendez Vous
You've seen one swimsuit show, you've seen 'em all and don't say otherwise. But when it comes to Swim Week parties, not all are created as transparently. One, however, stands apart from the rest thanks to its jet setter reputation and penchant for putting together a pretty impressive crowd. Sunset Rendez Vous, from 9 p.m. to midnight Saturday, July 20 at the W South Beach will also have its fair share of swim shows, but it also has a pretty strict guest list that has been there, done that and won't let you in unless you are deemed worthy enough. To see if you qualify, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s fun to play pretend sometimes, especially when you’ve got a surf board and waves as rough as your baby’s bathwater. To see how it’s really done, head to the Freehand, 2727 Indian Creek Dr., at 8 p.m. July 21 for a splashy screening of Bruce Brown’s seminal 1966 surfer flick The Endless Summer. Part of the hipster hostel’s Indian Creek Drive-In series, the screening will also feature menu specials inspired by the movie that go beyond sand and salt water--we hope. To RSVP go to freehandmiami.com/events.
A Little Havana
You may hear about the Havana of haute times, but it's not often you get to experience it as much as some may try to revisit the past. At 8 p.m. on Friday, July 19 at Miami Beach's Terra Veritatis, 4949 Pinetree Dr., you'll take the flux capacitor back to Havana, circa 1957 for a gala benefiting The Paradise Fund, a non-profit educating the public about political, environmental, health, educational and social complications plaguing children around the world. The Paradise Social Club gala will feature performances by Cuban artists Norberto Y Marisela as well as Bacardi booze and hand rolled cigars from Wynwood Cigar Factory. Tickets are $150 per person and available at the door. For more information, go to www.theparadisefund.com/events.
Samba Pa' Ti
New at SUSHISAMBA Coral Gables, 180 Aragon Ave., is SAMBAHOUR (their caps, not ours, though some may say it's worthy of shouting), from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. until closing Monday through Friday. The bar-only happy hours offer food and drink at $7 each. Beer drinkers get the real bargain, though, at $5 a pop.
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood
- Ballers: National YoungArts, The Big Lebowski, Digweed & more!
- The same auld lang syne: New Year's Day pool parties, bowl game boozing & National YoungArts Week
- That's so 2015: Velvet Underground does New Year's Eve
- Matzo Balling, High End Hookahs, Electric Piquete at Woody's & the Weeknd's After Party
- Justin Bieber's surprise visit--and performance--at Wall
- Art, music, booze, cartoons & sado masochism! It's not Art Basel anymore, it's just good ol' Miami
- A new nightclub, happy hour and Art Basel events you can actually get into