Sunset Rendez Vous, drive in at The Freehand and SUSHISAMBA happy hour(s)
Plenty of events happening in South Florida, from sushi happy hours to galas and exclusive Fashion Week Swim soirees.
Sunset Rendez Vous
You've seen one swimsuit show, you've seen 'em all and don't say otherwise. But when it comes to Swim Week parties, not all are created as transparently. One, however, stands apart from the rest thanks to its jet setter reputation and penchant for putting together a pretty impressive crowd. Sunset Rendez Vous, from 9 p.m. to midnight Saturday, July 20 at the W South Beach will also have its fair share of swim shows, but it also has a pretty strict guest list that has been there, done that and won't let you in unless you are deemed worthy enough. To see if you qualify, send an email to email@example.com.
It’s fun to play pretend sometimes, especially when you’ve got a surf board and waves as rough as your baby’s bathwater. To see how it’s really done, head to the Freehand, 2727 Indian Creek Dr., at 8 p.m. July 21 for a splashy screening of Bruce Brown’s seminal 1966 surfer flick The Endless Summer. Part of the hipster hostel’s Indian Creek Drive-In series, the screening will also feature menu specials inspired by the movie that go beyond sand and salt water--we hope. To RSVP go to freehandmiami.com/events.
A Little Havana
You may hear about the Havana of haute times, but it's not often you get to experience it as much as some may try to revisit the past. At 8 p.m. on Friday, July 19 at Miami Beach's Terra Veritatis, 4949 Pinetree Dr., you'll take the flux capacitor back to Havana, circa 1957 for a gala benefiting The Paradise Fund, a non-profit educating the public about political, environmental, health, educational and social complications plaguing children around the world. The Paradise Social Club gala will feature performances by Cuban artists Norberto Y Marisela as well as Bacardi booze and hand rolled cigars from Wynwood Cigar Factory. Tickets are $150 per person and available at the door. For more information, go to www.theparadisefund.com/events.
Samba Pa' Ti
New at SUSHISAMBA Coral Gables, 180 Aragon Ave., is SAMBAHOUR (their caps, not ours, though some may say it's worthy of shouting), from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. until closing Monday through Friday. The bar-only happy hours offer food and drink at $7 each. Beer drinkers get the real bargain, though, at $5 a pop.
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach