Sunny Isles Beach Jazz Fest returns this weekend
Fifth annual event brings top talent, features top dining spots
Sunny Isles Beach Jazz Fest
Friday, Oct. 12
Tony Sona from 8-11 p.m. at Acqualina Resort & Spa, 17875 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach.
Saturday, Oct. 13
Jazz BBQ with Oriente Band, noon-4 p.m. at Sole on the Ocean, 17315 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach
David Benoit, 5:30-10 p.m. at Heritage Park, Collins Avenue and 192nd Street
Sunday, Oct. 14
Jazz Brunch with Frank Axtell at Sole on the Beach, 17315 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach
The glorious white sands of Sunny Isles Beach is the perfect locale to enjoy the sweet sounds of jazz, and this weekend you'll have three days to check out world-class performers at the fifth-annual Sunny Isles Beach Jazz Fest. More than 2,000 people are expected to attend the events.
The fun kicks off from 8 - 11 p.m. Friday night (Oct. 12) with jazz pianist and composer Tony Sona, hailed by NPR's "Evenin' Jazz" host Len Pace as being so prolific that "The Tony Sona Songbook Vol. 1" is merited, performing with his trio at Acqualina Resort & Spa, with a special guest appearance by Gail Robin ($25, $65 includes a three-course dinner with your choice of seared sea bass or filet mignon).
From noon - 4 p.m. Saturday, chow down at the beachfront Jazz BBQ by Sole on the Ocean, featuring the Oriente Band (no cover, food available for purchase). Later Saturday, from 5:30 - 10 p.m. at Heritage Park, comes the main event, featuring Grammy-nominated contemporary jazz pianist and composer David Benoit, who has recorded more than 25 solo albums and is well-known for performing many of Vince Guaraldi's famous works for the "Peanuts" classic animated shows. Also on the bill are Ira Sullivan and local chanteuse Rose Max & Ramatis Brazilian Jazz featuring Dorio Ferreira. Tickets are only $25 for this event.
To wrap up the weekend's festivities, there's a buffet brunch at Sole on the Ocean ($40), with jazz-fusion guitarist Frank Axtell and his quartet.
For more info, visit www.sunnyislesbeachjazz.com.
Music in Miami
- Life In Color Early Bird Tickets Are Now On Sale
- Concert Review: Ariana Grande's tour stops in South Florida for an energetic homecoming
- Do Not Sit On the Furniture Kicks Off Independence Day Weekend with Nora En Pure
- Willy Chirino and Carlos Oliva deliver the Miami Sound this Saturday at the Arsht Center
- David Crosby performs songs old and new in Miami
- EC Twins Take Over E11EVEN for Cam Con's Official After Party
- 2015 Summer Music Concert Guide for Miami and South Florida
- Space Welcomes Queen of Techno Nicole Moudaber on Saturday, June 6
- Best of the Best Music Fest brings dancehall, soca and reggae to Miami
- Rec Room Turns Up with DJ Craze Friday, May 15