3 options for classic American favorites in Broward
Gilbert's 17th Street Grill
1821 Cordova Rd, Fort Lauderdale
Prices: salads $6.95-$11.95, burgers and sandwiches $9-$11.95, entrees $13.95-$28.95
4343 N. Ocean Dr, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
Prices: Burgers $3.97-$9.97; hot dogs $3.47-$3.97; salads $5.97-$6.77; sides $2.77-$5.77; custards $2.79-$6.97
Flip Flops Dockside Eatery
3051 NE 32 Ave, Fort Lauderdale
Prices: Appetizers $4.25-$9.25, sandwiches and burgers $7.25-$13.95, entrees $8.75-$17.95
Summer is coming - a good time for a juicy burger fresh off the grill or classic American favorites in an outdoor setting. Here are three options to consider:
- Lenore Gilbert's family owned the late Kansas City Steakhouse in Davie, but their 2-year-old Gilbert's 17th Street Grill in Fort Lauderdale's Harbor Shops is better suited to these budget-conscious times. "We were able to give good, high-quality food at a price point that's palatable," Gilbert said. They've built a following largely on word of mouth. Customers order at the counter, and staffers deliver food, clean tables, refill drinks and fetch extra condiments. Gilbert's is best known for is its certified Angus burgers in a range of combos. Our BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger was thick and juicy, cooked perfectly to order, and we couldn't get enough of the piping hot, sweet potato fries. Grilled spicy salmon with Cambodian slaw, a flavorful mix of water chestnuts, mandarin oranges, bamboo shoots and cabbage in a peanut dressing, is a good lighter-side pick. Gilbert is right: The quality of food and service is a step above most fast-casual places, and it's refreshing to find such attentive owners.
- Restaurateur David Manero (DeVito South Beach, The Office) puts his spin on the gourmet burger trend with BurgerFi (short for BurgerFication of the Nation) in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, the first link in a planned chain. The décor is a fun remodel of an old Burger King with indoor and covered outdoor seating, creative lighting fixtures and pink and green furniture. Burgers are made from all-natural Angus beef that's grass-fed with no antibiotics or hormones. There are also salad bowls, hot dogs and a "green style" burger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. Things got off to a shaky start when our order taker failed to ask us what toppings we wanted. We tried the Half and Half Stack, an Angus burger-quinoa burger combo that was too greasy. The Ultimate Cheeseburger, made with a thicker grind, had a nice, meaty flavor and a kick from the blue cheese topping. The "concrete" creations include vanilla custard with chunks of red velvet cake that earned a thumbs-up from our party and a disappointing BurgerFi Blast with chocolate custard that was missing half the promised add-ins. We had high expectations for BurgerFi, but it didn't measure up. Most of the problems were operational, so we'll hope they're ironed out.
- The view is the selling point at Flip Flops Dockside Eatery, an open-air restaurant in the former Taverna Opa space with a large dock overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway and a conversation-friendly atmosphere. The menu is typical island-inspired casual with dishes like coconut shrimp, shrimp ceviche, fish sandwiches, burgers and a small collection of entrees. You can munch on complimentary, house-made pita chips while waiting for your food, which took surprisingly long given the small crowd. A fried calamari appetizer was enough for sharing, but tasted like the pre-breaded frozen kind. Blackened mahi sandwich, pulled pork sandwich and baby back ribs were OK but not anything we'd return for. A grilled tilapia sandwich scored the best reviews at our table. Next time we'll come for the view and happy hour - two-for-one drinks from 2 to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Friday - or on a Sunday for $3 Bloody Marys and $2 mimosas.
- Casa d'Angelo hosts Brunello wine dinner June 26
- Steak 954 hosts war of the wines dinner series June 27
- Fort Lauderdale's Hot & Soul serves up global comfort food
- Sustainable seafood stars at Wild Sea on Las Olas
- The BOL brings an "elevated Asian experience" to Seminole Hard Rock
- Steak 954 hosts a "Bourbon on the Brain" fundraiser
- Amatsu brings "heavenly" sushi to the Westin Fort Lauderdale
- Get Festive: Blues, Brews & BBQ and Las Olas Wine & Food 2013
- Wild Sea Oyster Bar brings seafood to Fort Lauderdale's Riverside Hotel
- Margate's Fusion Latin Cuisine celebrates its grand opening March 21