Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group open Bocce Bar in Midtown
Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group team up to open Bocce Bar, an Italian restaurant with its own bocce court.
3252 NE 1 Ave, Miami
The who: Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group team up to open Bocce Bar, an Italian restaurant with its own bocce court.
The space: Located in the former Sustain space in Midtown, Bocce Bar features antique European tile flooring, wooden ceiling beams and an Enomatic wine system.
Outdoors: There’s that namesake bocce court, lined with Italian cypress trees, and plenty of al fresco seating.
The dishes: Rustic Italian with contemporary twists. Prices are reasonable with shareable antipasti $8-$14, pastas $13-$21 and mains $36-$48.
Antipasti include creamy polenta with rapinni and a poached egg, lamb and goat cheese meatballs and fried sardines.
Vegetable dishes include roasted “Thumbelina” carrots with a rich mascarpone smear, cauliflower with pine nut raisin gremolata and grilled treviso, a bitter radicchio-type leaf, with shaved pecorino and fig balsamic.
Salumi selections are cut to order and include prosciutto di Parma, house-made lamb mortadella and salame Felino. All are served with radicchio marmalade and house giardiniera.
House-made pastas include tortelli stuffed with chestnut mortadella, truffle tagliatelle, cannelloni stuffed with wild mushrooms and orecchiette with hearty duck sugo (a ragu-like sauce) and butternut squash.
Guests receive complimentary limoncello marshmallows at the end of the meal. The dessert menu includes crisp cannoli with 25-year aged balsamic ice cream and an espresso panna cotta.
The bottom line: Timon Balloo’s rustic Italian tapas ought to woo the Midtown crowd to play at Bocce Bar.
- Tom Colicchio's Beachcraft opens with earnest seasonal cooking
- Tantalize tempts with dancers and churrasco
- Michelle Bernstein is back at her flagship, now called Cena
- Brad Kilgore wants to alter your perceptions at Alter
- Fancy Asian tapas and umami cocktails beckon at Kuro
- Get your frites on: Bistro Cassis opens in midtown Miami
- Take a swim with Soho Bay's fresh fish dishes
- Coral Gables gets buzzy over new Spanish restaurant Piripi
- Icy-cool crudo and rocket-hot rocks at Modern Garden in Miami
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start