Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group open Bocce Bar in Midtown
Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group team up to open Bocce Bar, an Italian restaurant with its own bocce court.
3252 NE 1 Ave, Miami
The who: Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group team up to open Bocce Bar, an Italian restaurant with its own bocce court.
The space: Located in the former Sustain space in Midtown, Bocce Bar features antique European tile flooring, wooden ceiling beams and an Enomatic wine system.
Outdoors: There’s that namesake bocce court, lined with Italian cypress trees, and plenty of al fresco seating.
The dishes: Rustic Italian with contemporary twists. Prices are reasonable with shareable antipasti $8-$14, pastas $13-$21 and mains $36-$48.
Antipasti include creamy polenta with rapinni and a poached egg, lamb and goat cheese meatballs and fried sardines.
Vegetable dishes include roasted “Thumbelina” carrots with a rich mascarpone smear, cauliflower with pine nut raisin gremolata and grilled treviso, a bitter radicchio-type leaf, with shaved pecorino and fig balsamic.
Salumi selections are cut to order and include prosciutto di Parma, house-made lamb mortadella and salame Felino. All are served with radicchio marmalade and house giardiniera.
House-made pastas include tortelli stuffed with chestnut mortadella, truffle tagliatelle, cannelloni stuffed with wild mushrooms and orecchiette with hearty duck sugo (a ragu-like sauce) and butternut squash.
Guests receive complimentary limoncello marshmallows at the end of the meal. The dessert menu includes crisp cannoli with 25-year aged balsamic ice cream and an espresso panna cotta.
The bottom line: Timon Balloo’s rustic Italian tapas ought to woo the Midtown crowd to play at Bocce Bar.
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach
- Fork and Balls busts out a lotta love for meatballs in Fort Lauderdale
- L'echon Brasserie blends French classics with Pubbelly twists in Miami Beach
- La Gazzetta in Miami draws crowds for its pizzas, happy hour, desserts
- New El'eat Restaurant goes for Modern American in North Miami Beach
- New-look Larios on the Beach puts an Estefan spin on Cuban food
- Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
- New BLT Prime gets Trump treatment in Doral
- New AQ restaurant serves Florida-centric fare in Sunny Isles Beach's ritzy Acqualina Resort