Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group open Bocce Bar in Midtown
Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group team up to open Bocce Bar, an Italian restaurant with its own bocce court.
3252 NE 1 Ave, Miami
The who: Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group team up to open Bocce Bar, an Italian restaurant with its own bocce court.
The space: Located in the former Sustain space in Midtown, Bocce Bar features antique European tile flooring, wooden ceiling beams and an Enomatic wine system.
Outdoors: There’s that namesake bocce court, lined with Italian cypress trees, and plenty of al fresco seating.
The dishes: Rustic Italian with contemporary twists. Prices are reasonable with shareable antipasti $8-$14, pastas $13-$21 and mains $36-$48.
Antipasti include creamy polenta with rapinni and a poached egg, lamb and goat cheese meatballs and fried sardines.
Vegetable dishes include roasted “Thumbelina” carrots with a rich mascarpone smear, cauliflower with pine nut raisin gremolata and grilled treviso, a bitter radicchio-type leaf, with shaved pecorino and fig balsamic.
Salumi selections are cut to order and include prosciutto di Parma, house-made lamb mortadella and salame Felino. All are served with radicchio marmalade and house giardiniera.
House-made pastas include tortelli stuffed with chestnut mortadella, truffle tagliatelle, cannelloni stuffed with wild mushrooms and orecchiette with hearty duck sugo (a ragu-like sauce) and butternut squash.
Guests receive complimentary limoncello marshmallows at the end of the meal. The dessert menu includes crisp cannoli with 25-year aged balsamic ice cream and an espresso panna cotta.
The bottom line: Timon Balloo’s rustic Italian tapas ought to woo the Midtown crowd to play at Bocce Bar.
- The Cypress Room in Miami is now Cypress Tavern: See the differences
- Deco Dining at Driftwood Room
- Bivalves and Cocktails at Izzy's Fish & Oyster
- TiramesU reopens with a focus on upscale Italian cooking
- 26 Sushi & Tapas puts a modern spin on kosher fusion
- La Fresa Francesa Petit Café puts a piece of Paris in Hialeah
- Marion wants to charm you with Med-inspired eats
- Bazi takes South Beach eaters on an Asian culinary tour
- French import Plethore & Balthazar lands in SoFi
- Brasserie Azur brings buzzy French food to midtown Miami