Story nightclub to take over old Amnesia, Opium space
Kaskade to play Story on New Year's Eve; job fair set for Tuesday, Nov. 20 at LIV nightclub
UPDATE: It appears, as we first reported, that Story nightclub will indeed open the final week of December. The flyer was just released for the club's New Year's Eve party and superstar DJ Kaskade will ring in 2013 at Story. A source tells us that could be one of many nights between Dec. 26 and Jan. 1 that will feature top DJ talent.
Story nightclub will be the next nightlife attempt at the space formerly known as Opium Garden and Prive and Amnesia at 136 Collins Ave. on Miami Beach.
Two years ago the space was purchased by a group that included superstar DJ Bob Sinclar and they opened Amnesia. The group put a roof on the indoor/outdoor space to ensure the club could stay open, what with all the noise ordinance issues from past years. But the expense of putting a roof on the club probably cost them, as the interior design was not up to par with South Beach clubs like Mansion, LIV, SET and Bamboo. The wooden lattice on the upper deck and the Bacardi branding over each bar may work in some places around the world, but it felt out of place. The only redeeming quality was the superb soundsystem and video screens that dominated the venue.
So Amnesia quickly needed help, and began shopping itself for new investors. We heard rumors that the Opium Group was offered the space, now with a roof, but decided against it - been there, done that. But David Grutman of LIV nightclub fame, and his group of investors jumped in and took over Amnesia, programmed it for a while before shutting it down over the summer. The addition of Story will give Grutman his fourth nightclub in his growing empire joining LIV and Arkadia at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach and LIV Sun Life at Dolphins Stadium.
Story nightclub will be opening in late December. The interior has been gutted and a multi-million dollar renovation is near completion. Story will be holding its second job fair for everything from cocktail servers and VIP hosts to bartenders and bus persons. "Auditions" will be held at LIV (4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) on Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 4 - 8 p.m.
- DJ Steve Lawler plays one party during Miami Music Week
- Paul Kalkbrenner makes his U.S. debut at Ultra
- Damian Lazarus is ready to Get Lost
- CD Review: Ultra Music Festival Compilation 2014
- Drink like an Irish whiskey master this St. Patrick's Day
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - March 7 - 9
- Miami DJs unite for a Sunday party series at Will Call debuting on the anniversary of Biggie Smalls' death