Story nightclub to take over old Amnesia, Opium space
Kaskade to play Story on New Year's Eve; job fair set for Tuesday, Nov. 20 at LIV nightclub
UPDATE: It appears, as we first reported, that Story nightclub will indeed open the final week of December. The flyer was just released for the club's New Year's Eve party and superstar DJ Kaskade will ring in 2013 at Story. A source tells us that could be one of many nights between Dec. 26 and Jan. 1 that will feature top DJ talent.
Story nightclub will be the next nightlife attempt at the space formerly known as Opium Garden and Prive and Amnesia at 136 Collins Ave. on Miami Beach.
Two years ago the space was purchased by a group that included superstar DJ Bob Sinclar and they opened Amnesia. The group put a roof on the indoor/outdoor space to ensure the club could stay open, what with all the noise ordinance issues from past years. But the expense of putting a roof on the club probably cost them, as the interior design was not up to par with South Beach clubs like Mansion, LIV, SET and Bamboo. The wooden lattice on the upper deck and the Bacardi branding over each bar may work in some places around the world, but it felt out of place. The only redeeming quality was the superb soundsystem and video screens that dominated the venue.
So Amnesia quickly needed help, and began shopping itself for new investors. We heard rumors that the Opium Group was offered the space, now with a roof, but decided against it - been there, done that. But David Grutman of LIV nightclub fame, and his group of investors jumped in and took over Amnesia, programmed it for a while before shutting it down over the summer. The addition of Story will give Grutman his fourth nightclub in his growing empire joining LIV and Arkadia at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach and LIV Sun Life at Dolphins Stadium.
Story nightclub will be opening in late December. The interior has been gutted and a multi-million dollar renovation is near completion. Story will be holding its second job fair for everything from cocktail servers and VIP hosts to bartenders and bus persons. "Auditions" will be held at LIV (4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) on Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 4 - 8 p.m.
- 13 things you can't miss this President's Day Weekend - Feb. 12-14
- Free Whiskey, rooftop revelry & parties for those who love and couldn't care less about the Super Bowl
- Things to do this weekend in Miami - Jan. 29-31
- Naughty By Nature at LIV, Fashion on Film at Bal Harbour, The Art of Rum and Spam
- Miami Latin Nightclubs
- Happy hours, Pink Floyd yoga, Trick Daddy, jazz & Nu Deco
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Jan. 22-24
- Life in Color returns to Miami with Jack U, Zeds Dead, Steve Aoki and more
- Go Drink This: Proper Rum and Coke
- Miami Heat after party, EPIC new happy hours, Life in Color & Wine & Reggae in Wynwood