Steely Dan duo to rock Boca's Mizner Park
Still going strong
Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen and Walter Becker have a new tour to shill — Mood Swings: 8 Miles to Pancake Day Tour. As such, the duo conducted a conference call with game music scribes, including The Miami Herald, to promote a concert that hits Boca Raton’s Mizner Park Amphitheatre on Thursday night. In addition to teasing the idea of a new album, “It’s just a smell now, next thing is then you taste it, then you start to feel it,” Becker says, the two dither on how the tour derived its puzzling Pancake Day Tour handle. Fans will recall this jazz-loving duo once titled an album Pretzel Logic. Expect the same twisted logic as they make no attempt to unravel the mystery of that title. Becker: “I’m not in the mood anymore.” Fagen: “Paxil is kind of an antiquated drug by now, isn’t it?” Becker: “It probably is.” Steely Dan has put out just two studio albums since the duo initially put the act on hiatus after 1980’s showroom-pristine Gaucho. The 2000 effort, Two Against Nature, scored Steely Dan an Album of the Year Grammy over the then-favored Eminem. But Becker and Fagen have toured together often since reconnecting professionally in the mid-’90s. Credit a saner touring environment today. “The venues and the menus and the hotels and everything has gotten better,” Fagen said. “So, now it’s much more fun to play. I’m glad that we turned into a big-time touring band later in life. It’s almost like we planned it out that way.” Steely Dan perform at 8 p.m. Thursday at Mizner Park Amphitheatre, Boca Raton. The concert is sold out but tickets, $68.50-$149, are sometimes released as show approaches. Information: www.ticketmaster.com. Follow @HowardCohen on Twitter.
On Our Radar
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision
- 5 things to know about 2 Chainz