Staying In: California Burgers & Shakes
Sun, surf, burgers & shakes await in Ft Lauderdale...
Dude, here's a place where you can grab a "radical'' burger and some "gnarly'' sides -- and it doesn't matter if you arrive in your swim trunks and Rollerblades. Just a few blocks from Fort Lauderdale beach, the small California Burgers & Shakes shack plays up its sun-and-surf theme with posters, cutesy menu names and a nonchalant attitude toward the scantily dressed beach crowd. The West Coast-themed spot offers a range of burgers, from a single to the Big Kahuna -- two ½-pound patties. You can add toppings like the flavorful but messy Malibu (teriyaki sauce, cheese and a grilled pineapple ring) or the Santa Barbara (chili and cheese) to just about any item, including the grilled fish and chicken sandwiches. The meat patties have char-grilled flavor, and the fish sandwich is impressive -- a slab of grilled mahi-mahi on a wheat bun. Fries are hand-cut with the skin on. Most items come with lettuce, tomato, mayo, pickles and caramelized onions. Don't skip the thick shakes, served with a giant straw, in fun flavors like coconut, amaretto, peppermint and peanut butter (50 cents extra). Located in a 7-Eleven plaza across from The Galleria, the place is a little hard to spot, but it has caught on. A second California Burgers & Shakes is set to open this month on U.S. 1 in Fort Lauderdale. Awesome.
California Burgers & Shakes
1040 Bayview Dr, Fort Lauderdale
Hours: 11am-9:30pm Monday-Saturday, 11am-8pm Sunday
Price range: Burgers $2.99-$8.79, salads $2.29-$4.49, hot dogs and sandwiches $2.49-$5.99, sides $1.99-$2.29, shakes $2.99
- Miami's favorite croquetas by Yelpers in honor of Croquetapalooza
- 5 fun foodie activities to do with kids in Miami
- Wynwood businesses reopen after Zika scare
- Michy fans: Fried chicken is back
- Grandma's recipes play into new Estefan Kitchen
- This "clean eating" South Beach restaurant to open Brickell spot
- Croquetas get star treatment at Croquetapalooza
- UberEATS expands delivery west to Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, South Miami
- Can these cupcakes save Lolita the killer whale?
- Zika forces Lagunitas to cancel Miami Beer Circus in Wynwood