Stay cool with these hot parties in Miami this weekend
From happy hour, to jazz and art and a legendary birthday party, something for all
Jazzed Up for Summer
Oppressive heat, humidity and, at times, rain aside, there are a few things truly cool about summer in Miami. Among them, The Bass Museum of Art's Hot Nights Cool Jazz series (2100 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) featuring music, free wine compliments of Rex-Goliath Wines, and, hopefully, a cultured crowd that collectively has more to complain--er, talk--about than the aforementioned seasonal oppressiveness. The next installment of the series is from7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on June 29 featuring The Brian Murphy Trio, which will perform both original materials and assorted selections from the American songbook. Admission is free for museum members and $10 for non-members.
Another annual summer event is the birthday of Trio on the Bay's Gerry Kelly, nightlife veteran and showman who will celebrate his big 5-0 at 10 p.m. Saturday, June 23 with his trademark pomp, circumstance and disco balls (1601 79th St. Causeway, Miami). Kelly's "Royal X-Travaganza," will feature much in the way of aural and visual distractions to the tune of Studio 54 classics. There are oral distractions, too, those in the form of SXL Liquors' debut of "super sexy vodkas,' and a special, 3-course menu at $39 per person. He could have charged $50, but Kelly is forever 39. To RSVP, email email@example.com or call 305-866-1234. Happy Birthday, Gerry.
The folks at Yardbird Southern Table & Bar (1600 Lenox Ave., Miami Beach) want to extend their hospitality via booze in the form of a Southern Social, held from 3 p.m. (!) to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. There, you will find $3 beers, $5 wine and $5 cocktails. On Thursdays and Fridays, a guest bartender or so-called mixologist will host and present their signature cocktails.
Speaking of Mixologists ....
One of Miami's best, John Lermayer, whose legendary status was cemented back when FDR was better known as The Florida Room, is hosting a Culinary and Cocktail Dinner at 7:30 p.m. Monday, June 25 at Meat Market (915 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). The dinner will feature five courses paired with examples of Lermayer's mad scientist meets mixology skills. Among the drinks: the Lincoln Road Daiquiri: Santa Teresa 1796, vanilla cooked agave nectar, fresh squeezed lemon, pineapple juice, black walnut bitters, finished with grated nutmeg, and the King's Punch: Hendricks gin, Pimm’s, wild strawberry, Demerara sugar, fresh cucumbers, lavender bitters and mint. Cost is $65 per person plus tax and tip. To get yours, call 305-532-0088.
- Sommelier Slam, Thea's Supper Club, Tito Puente, Jr. and YoungArts paints the town
- Nahko and Medicine for the People at Grand Central, Dance Band Night, Electric Piquete & Buck 15 Redux
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness
- Rum Running on South Beach, Galaxy Gala, and Philanthropic Eating, lots of it
- Miss Coco Peru at Cabaret, Spring Fling at 1111, db Bistro happenings, early bird boozing at Katsuya
- Reflections from Miami Beach Nightlife Pioneers
- Winter Music madness, movies, and a selfless schlep for shoes!
- Cocktail cure-alls, Spam Allstars @ 20, boozy benefits & shopportunities, cocktail classes & fashion shows
- Hearts & Stars, 'glades with PAMM, Baboons & Spam on The Stage & Broadway Cares at Sagamore