Stay cool with these hot parties in Miami this weekend
From happy hour, to jazz and art and a legendary birthday party, something for all
Jazzed Up for Summer
Oppressive heat, humidity and, at times, rain aside, there are a few things truly cool about summer in Miami. Among them, The Bass Museum of Art's Hot Nights Cool Jazz series (2100 Collins Ave., Miami Beach) featuring music, free wine compliments of Rex-Goliath Wines, and, hopefully, a cultured crowd that collectively has more to complain--er, talk--about than the aforementioned seasonal oppressiveness. The next installment of the series is from7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on June 29 featuring The Brian Murphy Trio, which will perform both original materials and assorted selections from the American songbook. Admission is free for museum members and $10 for non-members.
Another annual summer event is the birthday of Trio on the Bay's Gerry Kelly, nightlife veteran and showman who will celebrate his big 5-0 at 10 p.m. Saturday, June 23 with his trademark pomp, circumstance and disco balls (1601 79th St. Causeway, Miami). Kelly's "Royal X-Travaganza," will feature much in the way of aural and visual distractions to the tune of Studio 54 classics. There are oral distractions, too, those in the form of SXL Liquors' debut of "super sexy vodkas,' and a special, 3-course menu at $39 per person. He could have charged $50, but Kelly is forever 39. To RSVP, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-866-1234. Happy Birthday, Gerry.
The folks at Yardbird Southern Table & Bar (1600 Lenox Ave., Miami Beach) want to extend their hospitality via booze in the form of a Southern Social, held from 3 p.m. (!) to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. There, you will find $3 beers, $5 wine and $5 cocktails. On Thursdays and Fridays, a guest bartender or so-called mixologist will host and present their signature cocktails.
Speaking of Mixologists ....
One of Miami's best, John Lermayer, whose legendary status was cemented back when FDR was better known as The Florida Room, is hosting a Culinary and Cocktail Dinner at 7:30 p.m. Monday, June 25 at Meat Market (915 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). The dinner will feature five courses paired with examples of Lermayer's mad scientist meets mixology skills. Among the drinks: the Lincoln Road Daiquiri: Santa Teresa 1796, vanilla cooked agave nectar, fresh squeezed lemon, pineapple juice, black walnut bitters, finished with grated nutmeg, and the King's Punch: Hendricks gin, Pimm’s, wild strawberry, Demerara sugar, fresh cucumbers, lavender bitters and mint. Cost is $65 per person plus tax and tip. To get yours, call 305-532-0088.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more