Stay classy, South Florida
The season shifts into gear with some great classical music offerings this week.
Feed your soul with some classical music offerings around town this week:
The New World Symphony presents the Sphinx Virtuosi, a chamber orchestra dedicated to diversity in the performing arts, in a program of well-known repertoire together with works by African-American and Latino composers. The program includes Plaza: Fuga Criolla, Bartok: Divertimento for Strings, final movement, Perkinson: Blue/s Forms, III. Jettin’ Blues, Handel-Halvorse: Passacaglia, Golijov: Last Round, Ginastera: Furisoso from String Quartet No. 2, Op. 26, Schubert: Death and the Maiden. The program will be Wallcast on the building's exterior.
Wednesday, Sep 21 7:30p to 9:30p, New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach.
FIU Symphony Orchestra
The FIU Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Maestro Grzegorz Nowak, presents a concert featuring two distinguished soloists, Robert Davidovici, violin, performing Lalo's "Symphonie Espagnole" and Luis Gome-Imbert, contrabass, performing Koussevitzly "Concerto for Double Bass." Program will also include one of Tchaikovkly's symphonies. $5-$15.
Saturday, Sep 24 7:30 p.m. at Herbert and Nicole Wertheim Performing Arts Center/ Concert Hall, 10917 SW 17th St., Miami; 305-348-0496.
NEW WORLD SYMPHONY
Alasdair Neale conducts the New World Symphony in a program that includes Muhly, selected Preludes by Debussy and
Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5.
Saturday, September 24 at 7:30 p.m. at New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach; Tickets are free while they last at www.nws.edu.
Presenting its third annual “A Romantic Evening With Tchaikovsky", Walenstein Symphony Orchestra will feature various members of its orchestra, as well as guest pianists and vocalists in this solo recital in honor of the great Russian composer. $15, $10 student with ID.
Saturday, Sep 24 at 7:30 p.m. at First United Methodist Church of South Miami, 6565 S. Red Rd., Coral Gables; 786-258-5289.
See and Do
- Raw intimacy in Carlota Pradera’s ‘Bare Bones’ at the Miami Theater Center
- Miami choreographer Rosie Herrera turns life in a Cuban cabaret to art for ‘Show.Girl.’ with Ballet Hispanico
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 10 features you won’t want to miss
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami