Stay classy, South Florida
The season shifts into gear with some great classical music offerings this week.
Feed your soul with some classical music offerings around town this week:
The New World Symphony presents the Sphinx Virtuosi, a chamber orchestra dedicated to diversity in the performing arts, in a program of well-known repertoire together with works by African-American and Latino composers. The program includes Plaza: Fuga Criolla, Bartok: Divertimento for Strings, final movement, Perkinson: Blue/s Forms, III. Jettin’ Blues, Handel-Halvorse: Passacaglia, Golijov: Last Round, Ginastera: Furisoso from String Quartet No. 2, Op. 26, Schubert: Death and the Maiden. The program will be Wallcast on the building's exterior.
Wednesday, Sep 21 7:30p to 9:30p, New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach.
FIU Symphony Orchestra
The FIU Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of Maestro Grzegorz Nowak, presents a concert featuring two distinguished soloists, Robert Davidovici, violin, performing Lalo's "Symphonie Espagnole" and Luis Gome-Imbert, contrabass, performing Koussevitzly "Concerto for Double Bass." Program will also include one of Tchaikovkly's symphonies. $5-$15.
Saturday, Sep 24 7:30 p.m. at Herbert and Nicole Wertheim Performing Arts Center/ Concert Hall, 10917 SW 17th St., Miami; 305-348-0496.
NEW WORLD SYMPHONY
Alasdair Neale conducts the New World Symphony in a program that includes Muhly, selected Preludes by Debussy and
Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5.
Saturday, September 24 at 7:30 p.m. at New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach; Tickets are free while they last at www.nws.edu.
Presenting its third annual “A Romantic Evening With Tchaikovsky", Walenstein Symphony Orchestra will feature various members of its orchestra, as well as guest pianists and vocalists in this solo recital in honor of the great Russian composer. $15, $10 student with ID.
Saturday, Sep 24 at 7:30 p.m. at First United Methodist Church of South Miami, 6565 S. Red Rd., Coral Gables; 786-258-5289.
See and Do
- Ayikodans offers a prayer in the form of dance for its sixth season at the Arsht Center
- 7 best bets for live music this weekend
- 'Peppa Pig’ makes a splash with live shows in South Florida
- A 'Sound of Music’ that hits many of the right notes
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 9 features you won’t want to miss
- DWNTWN Art Days 2015 this weekend
- Schmooze Over Miami teaches history through a theatrical pub crawl
- PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social featuring Million Young
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday
- Siempre Flamenco hosts Cafe Cantante at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center