Stay classy, South Florida
Classical music will help you through the dog days of summer.
The summer may be a slow time to find classical music performances, but this week there are two stand outs.
Summerfest is an annual event presented by the Symphony of the Americas featuring an acclaimed foreign orchestra in residence joined by members of the Symphony of the Americas under the baton of the Symphony's Maestro James Brooks-Bruzzese. This year's event features France's highly acclaimed Mont Blanc Chamber Orchestra. Performances include the classical music of Vivaldi, Paganini, Telemann, Sarasate, Brahms, Copland, the American composer Arthur Foote, and Lorenzo Turchi-Floris, Artistic Director of the Mont Blanc Orchestra. Performances are highlighted by Hungarian violinist Laszlo Pap, and American flutist, Marilyn Maingart.
Wednesday, July 21 at 7 p.m., The Broward Center for Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 954-462-0222. Tickets $20-$55.
Thursday, July 22, Susan B. Katz Theater, River of Grass Artspark, 17189 Sheridan St., Pembroke Pines; 954-986-6067. FREE.
Monaco Boys Choir
The award-winning boys choir, founded in 1973 under the patronage of H.S.H. Prince Rainier III, brings together over 30 children’s voices and is composed of talented children as young as eight years old who have passed rigorous examinations to be admitted into the prestigious group. Directed by Pierre Debat, the repertoire will include works by Charpentier, Bach, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Fauré and Franck; French and Monégasque folk songs; English-language songs.
Saturday, July 24 at 7 p.m. Wertheim Performing Arts Center, Florida International University, 11200 SW Eighth St., Miami; 305-348-2896. FREE.
See and Do
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission
- A prelude to Art Basel for locals
- New World Center's Mini-Concerts return with "Yoga Night at the New World Symphony"
- Lucky You! 5 brings art to the people on Nov. 9
- CircX burlesque and cabaret troupe celebrates 10th anniversary
- Miami Performance Festival features fire and lace.