Star Trek star George Takei to get huge props
At dinner this fall
The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force has announced that actor, author and activist George Takei will receive its 2013 National Leadership Award at the 17th Annual Miami Recogniton Dinner Saturday, November 9 at the Fontainebleau. “I am deeply honored to be recognized by this wonderful organization that has been fighting for LGBT equality for the past four decades,” Takei said. “It is a privilege to be part of an event like the 17th Annual Miami Recognition Dinner that raises money for multiple organizations serving our community." Best known for his role as Sulu on Star Trek, Takei credits his role on the cult classic for much of his activism. "Well, you know, I do think in the larger span of things, I owe it all to Star Trek, because Star Trek has given me this pop icon status if you will, and one of the gifts have been this megaphone I have which amplifies my voice and I can reach people. And I do think the movement for equality for LGBT Americans is in the same context of all of the great American movements, you know, the basic fundamental ideals of this country of justice and equality." He's also pretty hilarious--especially on the internet, a subject on which he waxes in his recently published Oh Myyy! There Goes the Internet, and in several satiric PSAs, including one in response to Tennessee’s infamous “Don’t Say Gay” bill that encourages viewers to say, "It’s OK to be Takei." Tickets to the 17th annual Miami Recognition Dinner are $250 for general admission and $350 for VIP admission (which includes a private VIP cocktail reception and meet & greet prior to the dinner). Tickets are available online at www.miamirecognitiondinner.org and by phone at 305.571.1924. Follow the event on Twitter and Instagram at @SparkleMRD.
On Our Radar
- Local cake makers get reality show, 'Divas del Azucar'
- Wilmer Valderrama will judge Calle Ocho fashion show
- John Turturro to be honored at MIFF
- Cadillac V-series Challenge puts pro golfers, VIPs on the fast track at Homestead-Miami Speedway
- Oprah's Fisher Island home sells again
- Shirley MacLaine to appear at Miami International Film Fest
- Beckhams won't move into Versace mansion
- Celeb spotting: Prime 112 sees a lot of action
- Emilio Estefan movie to have world premiere
- Kim Kardashian's ex husband sells home