Is Star Island losing its luster?
Celebs renting out homes
Something strange is happening on Star Island, the island off the MacArthur Causeway that’s home to 98 very rich, very famous folks: There are currently four properties up for rent, out of just 32. Singer Gloria Estefan and her husband Emilio are offering one of the guest houses for $30,000 a month. There’s developer Tom Kramer’s foreclosed crib, for rent at $150,000 a month. Other villas are going for $65,000 and $75,000 a month. Rentals tucked between $100 million properties? “It is unusual to have that many rentals there,” says high-end Realtor Ben Moss. “In listings above $10 million, there’s a three-year inventory. Some investors prefer renting out for a while. “But for some sophisticated buyers with $50 million to spend, this could cause the island to lose some of its luster.”
On Our Radar
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street
- Orange is the New Black star gets her drink on
- Where to get hurricane updates without a TV
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo at “Before the Flood” screening
- What's closed in Miami because of Hurricane Matthew
- La La Anthony in Miami trying out cocktails