St. Louis-based Pi Pizzeria opening this year in South Beach
Deep-dish and thin-crust pizzas will complement craft beers across from Big Pink.
This just in: St. Louis-based Pi Pizzeria is opening a South Beach location at 124 Collins Ave., across from Big Pink and adjacent to Story nightclub in the white-hot South of Fifth neighborhood.
The ink is freshly dried on Pi's lease for the 120-seat space, which used to be a short-lived restaurant-lounge called La Suite and before that an Italian eatery called Tagliatelle. Owners Chris Sommers and Frank Uible are working with their design group and city officials to build out a dog-friendly sidewalk patio with room for another 50 or so customers.
Pi's pizzas — both thin-crust and deep-dish — are based on a recipe Sommers picked up while living in San Francisco. The cornmeal crusts (Pi can do gluten-free and vegan pizzas, too) are topped with a zesty fresh-tomato sauce and a variety of create-your-own ingredients or set specials from executive chef Cary McDowell. A bevy of craft beers complements the Pi experience.
Pi is serious about being green: Its proteins are organic, sustainably raised and/or hormone-free, and even its pizza boxes are environmentally friendly.
And it's serious about Miami, apparently. In an interview with St. Louis Magazine, Sommers said he and Uible saw something special happening here, and they wanted a piece of the, er, pie.
"Everybody wants in," Sommers said of Miami. "The dining scene has become significant there."
Look for Pi'ami (nice ring, no?) to open sometime before the end of the year -- certainly in time for the South Beach Wine and Food Festival, Sommers and Uible say. It will join a Pi portfolio that includes five brick-and-mortar locations in St. Louis, one in Washington, D.C., and one currently under construction in Cincinnati.
- Oolite to debut vegan dishes at Conscious Bite Out dinner Dec. 11
- Lique Restaurant & Lounge opens on Intracoastal Waterway in North Miami Beach
- Sandbar in Coconut Grove is renamed The Hot Rock after 'Bar Rescue' takeover
- Kuro Japanese restaurant to open at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- The List: Mignonette and Blue Collar chef-owner Danny Serfer
- Beefed-up seafood menu at Steak 954
- New chef, hot-stone concept at Seasalt & Pepper
- NY-based Quality Meats to open Miami Beach steakhouse
- Miami's rising culinary stars: 30 Under 30
- Michelle Bernstein to pop up at Art Basel 2014