A spicey kickoff
Bernstein took one for the team Saturday night at the Miami Spice kickoff at the Miami Beach Convention Center.
Michelle Bernstein took one for the team Saturday night at the Miami Spice kickoff at the Miami Beach Convention Center. The restaurateur (Michy's, Sra. Martinez) "sabered'' a champagne bottle to get the party started.
"I practiced once this morning, and I'm really nervous," said Bernstein before the stunt, a tradition that dates back to the Napoleonic Era, which involves slicing off the top of the bottle with a large knife.
No injuries were reported, but Bernstein is still smarting from fellow local toque Andrea Curto-Randazzo's comments about her on Top Chef. When Michelle appeared as a guest judge, The Water Club chef said she wasn't ‘‘comfortable'' being critiqued by her because they were business rivals (especially when Michelle said Andrea's wild boar was "chewy'').
Bernstein didn't think there was any competition between them.
"I am proud of all Miami chefs," she said. ‘‘I want everyone to do well."
On Our Radar
- Music on Board brings EDM festival to Fort Lauderdale from Brazil
- Fort Lauderdale's Fish Tank Kings returns
- Wild and crazy guy: Steve O in town for shows
- Ben & Jerry’s Free Ice Cream Tasting
- Tax day cometh! Flo Rida pays his bill
- Joanna Krupa puts apartment up for sale
- Former 'Queer Eye' designer Thom Filicia lends his touch to new condo in Edgewater
- Key West company featured on 'The Profit'
- Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
- George Lopez talks 'Saint George' and 'Rio 2'